real on Tue, 1 May 2001 15:42:59 +0200 (CEST)

Re: [Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Sorry, there's no fee, c'mon it's just a link!

Valentina Tanni wrote:
> I'm very sorry about it, I hope to be able to raise money in the future and
> make a real net art show,

a real net art show?

> commissioning new works, showing old ones and also
> inviting artist to collaborate in organizing the show. But in this occasion
> the only thing I'm doing is writing an essay and giving some links to the
> people who will read the catalogue.

REAL vs VIRTUAL

Interesting point here, is this discussion seem to shift
to special made work to the real expo. I wonder if all "real" artists
do new pieces especially made for the show, or that for example
Pippiloti Rist is just paid for having a "old" video shown in "real"
space.
Interesting point is what would be done if a piece by Pippiloti
Rist is available on the net, say for example on the site of
her gallery and used in the way it is now done by a work as for
example done by Jodi.
But the point here goes i think further then the question of
payment, it's about how seriously netart is taken (by curators and
netartists themselves). And how easy or difficult it is to add
netart that is looked at as virtual to a real show in a real building,
were people have real wages, etc. without thinking of the implications.

ppplll

just to give to whole thing a different angle
a question to valentina tanni: you are paid for writing some text,
does this mean that everybody that wants to publish them after
you are paid for them, can publish them freely?