Andreas Broeckmann on Wed, 2 May 2001 11:18:58 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Project JXTA - open-source distributed computing

open-source distributed computing project
http://www.jxta.org/

Project JXTA started as a research project incubated at Sun
Microsystems, Inc. under the guidance of Bill Joy and Mike Clary, to
address the peer-to-peer space.

Project JXTA addresses the need for an open, generalized protocol that
interoperates with any peer on the network including PCs, servers and
other connected devices.

Philosophy and Vision

Project JXTA has had community involvement from the beginning. At the
start of the project, we outlined some core principles to our development
process.

1.keep it familiar: where practical, use stuff that's standard and has
 worked before
2.leverage experts: engage a variety of experts early and often
3.encourage open development: the design, the specs, the code,
 and whatever the result is.

And we outlined a vision for the software. Some key components are:

1.promote communication (not isolation) among applications
2.develop administrative commands for peers, peer groups, and
 groups of peers in the spirit of UNIX pipes and shells
3.keep the core small and elegant: make an architectural distinction
 between core mechanisms and optional policies
4.support multiple platforms and languages, micro devices to
 servers
5.address security from the beginning.

An Open Distributed Community

On February 15, at the O'Reilly P2P conference, Bill Joy compared
peer-to-peer computing efforts of today with early instances of UNIX. He
challenged a community of peers at the O'Reilly P2P Conference to tune
in this April for more details about Project JXTA, and for those who share
our vision, to join our efforts. You can review an article about the speech
or watch the speech.

On April 25, Bill opened this Web site to the public during an online
Webcast. It includes specifications, implementations, and the
infrastructure to jump-start collaboration among peers. Stay tuned as the
site and the project evolve.