geert lovink on Mon, 14 May 2001 00:02:50 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] "Lost Worlds of the Internet: Stalking the Ruins of Virtual Reality"

From: "CyberForum@ArtCenter" <cyberforum@artcenter.edu>
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 5:16 PM

for the Summer 2001 series. If you wish to attend
a Forum event in the next 3 months - events are free
and open to the public - please click the link below
and press "Send" to receive details for each event.

mailto:cyberforum@artcenter.edu?Subject=SummerCyberForumSubscribe

Theme of the Summer 2001 CyberForum

"Lost Worlds of the Internet: Stalking the Ruins of Virtual Reality"

Nearly a decade ago, in the first rush of enthusiasm for Virtual Reality,
hundreds of 3D worlds were launched on the Internet. As commercial
exploitation began to dominate the Web, public attention never
quite reached these islands of 3D experimentation - some of which are
unremarkable and some of which are exquisite gems of low-bandwidth VR.
These virtual art works fell into obscurity even their authors abandoned
them for Web commerce and mainstream activities.

The Summer 2001 CyberForum will conduct biweekly expeditions into
these "lost worlds of the Internet." We will put on avatars and visit these
worlds in real time as we chat with the author-artists who conceived them
and with critics who are interested in the 3D Web.

Past Forum logs: http://www.mheim.com/cyberforum/html/archive.html

The CyberForum@ArtCenter is a production of the Virtual
Worlds Team at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena,
California, under the direction of Michael Heim (mheim@artcenter.edu)