Content-Wire.com on Sat, 19 May 2001 22:07:34 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: totalitarianism in cyberspace?

Max

>"Manufacturing consent" is the most commonly known book here, I think.  It's
> a good common starting point.

I looked up my notes but did not find the article I was referreing to
about reproducibility of intelligence
went to bookstore to look for the one you say above
and found out there is a new book about propaganda, need to interview him
it so very topical

>I surely do.  It takes people's genius and flattens it, so they become
>consumers of non-nutritive and addictive substances intended to replace the
>genius they had stolen from them.
>Unfortunately, even the niche media do the
>same thing.

I can certainly say that about technology media.
With a few exceptions, I can see how technology disinformation
is supporting the digital divide of those who connect, and those who dont.
If IT managers were knowledgeable, they would spend less and do more.
But the IT industry would deflate a little. who do you think 'controls'
the IT press? The IT industry, via advertising

( pause to kneel and be grateful to the internet and its developers, is there a
a commemorative statue to the internet yet anywhere? I want to build a temple
to dedicated to the internet)

yes, it must be true for trade press as well, so that they can push their own
ideas, their own products, they can sell their bullshit that is going to
make them money and everybody else ignorant

Same is for the food we eat, water we drink.

The problem, projected globally, is that very clearly we have the technology
resources to evolve very quickly now - communicate effectively, reduce consumption,
 reduce waste everybody could live better - but there are economic forces averse
to change (those who are too ignorant or too frightened to lose out to progress -
they need to push rubbish down our throats and they need the media to convince
us that that is what we need/want/must do to be like others

I was very disappointed that when the Industry Standard Europe launched,
and they appointed as editor a guy from new york and as europe editor
a guy from switzerland.
They ignore - to date - most of fundamental issues regadring the politics
and the economics of the internet economy in europe.
Probably because they havent got a clue being both from non Eu countries
( nothing personal - I met them both, they know talk straight, and they know that
I would write very different stories)

But I soon understood that the Industry Standard Europe was not supposed to
write about internet economy at all, perhaps about what the system would like
the internet economy to be.

Dont get me going Max, don't get me going.
I am desperate to stay constructive, while my blood is boiling over
Need to chill.

>Here in Minneapolis I am starting a whole new network of democratic genius.
>It's a joke mostly, just something to do, but it's very good and makes a lot
>of wonderful sense.  The scene here is thirsting for something original since
>we lost Husker Du.  All the presses are gearing up to protest George Bush.

yes I agree, must be devoted to the self and cultivate what is sane and
likely to grow, thanks for reminding me that perhaps the fastest way to change
the systems - the institutions - is by working on individuals.

That said, we still need to do something about the media.
I think to establish a committee for the supervision of bulsshit in the media
is the minimum global society could do. I think also if we make a good
job about internet information (producing it and spreading it)
we are likely to change the media too.

I am learning to discover and trust  my own genius, its brilliant, its powerful its all over
and it leads my life which is great fun. Perhaps you'd like to write something for us
to post about it...just checked out your website the link to the god project is broken but
it makes me most curious, what is it - found the link to Noam though, that will do for now <g>

pdm