Chris Drew on Mon, 21 May 2001 05:47:45 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] ART-ACT Notes 29a

To unsubscribe from ART-ACT Notes 29a simply reply with
unsubscribe in the Subject line.

CONTENTS

1) Thank You to the Latest Artist(s)

2) Latest ART-ACT art submissions

3) New Art by UM-CAC FOUNDERS
        Featuring Anne Pyterek and Diana Berek

4) Web Site Developments
        a. Reworking keywords in our site.
        b. Adding Executive Director Letters.

5.) ARTISTS - Sell Your Art

THANK YOU TO SUBMITTING ARTISTS

Thanks again for building a response to hatred. More and more people will
recognize that this is a valid forum. We are building this so you and your
work
can receive attention from an international audience.

Because we are a group of community artists struggling for a voice we value
your
expressions. We promise to post your expressions as long as you want us to.
We will continue to post your statements and links to your other art on the
Internet as you inform us. We are here to serve artists.

Your many pens - is stronger than the swords! Thank You!

NEW ART FOR ART-ACT II

Artists globally have submitted the following images on the theme of
"anti-racism" or "pro-diversity" since the last issue of ART-ACT Notes.

Timothy B. Wimbley - Shades of Gray II
http://www.art-teez.org/artact2/tbw2.htm

Michael Tetievski - Faces
http://www.art-teez.org/artact2/mt2.htm

Kevin Clapp - The Water Fountain
http://www.art-teez.org/artact2/kc1.htm

NEW ART
Diana Berek - Ex-Board Member of UM-CAC & Anne Pyterek - Present Board
Member show their art in our "Founders Art" site segment. Art work posted
here belongs to members of our Board or our past Board Members who are all
practicing artists. This will grow as we build pages for artists from our
past and future.

PRESENTING
The work of Diana Berek
http://www.art-teez.org/artistsb/berek/db.htm

The work of Anne Pyterek
http://wwwart-teez.org/artistsb/pyterek/ap.htm

> > Enjoy.

WEB SITE DEVELOPMENTS

Executive Director letters and reworking Keyword are the headlines.
Keywords are those words used in your website that the search engines test
their searches against to rank your site in the lists they serve up to
searchers. A person types in keywords and the search engine test the
keywords it has collected from sites. ranking each sites keywords for
highest number of occurrences and applying other secret comparisons to
provide a percentile ranking to each site in its database. It then publishes
the highest ranking sites on those keywords - ten or twenty at a time - for
the user to look at. Most people do not look much past 20-50 listings to
find site to their interests. Keywords are our keys to being found on the
Internet.

Key words occur in a site's meta tags found in the headers of well
constructed web pages. Look at the souce code between the <head> and </head>
tags of most web pages to find the line beginning with <meta name="keyword"
to view a keyword meta tag. With over 450 pages to fix I am going to have
plenty of work improving out keyword distribution through out our site.

I use the alt arguments of our image tags to rotate keywords that apply to
our sites content. Attempting to reach those most likely to search for our
site is our goal. We do not want popularly searched keywords that do not
relate directly to our site's content and the page content those keywords
appear on. My mistake was using too many keywords in our meta tags -
diluting the effect the most important keywords. Also, recently our site
statistics as reported to use by our ISP have begun providing lists of the
most popular keywords seached on by those visiting our site. This is
important to provide our keywords greater effect. This overhaul is long
overdue.

EX-DIR.HTM - We want our site to open our agency up to the public. Now you
can read along each month to find out what UM-CAC, the Uptown Multi-Cultural
Art Center, is up to locally by reading our Executive Director's Report to
our Board of Directors at

http://www.art-teez.org/ex-dir.htm

ARTISTS - Sell Your Art
Go to http://www.art-teez.org/license.htm to printout, fill out and send to
us a signed license agreement to market your art on T-shirts. You
receive $2.00 per t-shirt sold.

Those artists licensing their work for printing on t-shirts will become
eligible
for further opportunities as they arise. One goal of ours is a booklet of
images for schools to invite discussions of diversity issues between
students. What else could come our way? Any suggestions?

; 7 )

Chris Drew
<mailto:umcac@art-teez.org>
Uptown Multi-Cultural Art Center
http://www.art-teez.org We dress Chicago and the
Internet in t-shirt art. Come get some! 773/561-7676