Florian Cramer on Mon, 21 May 2001 19:56:36 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Live ASCII Streaming

Am Sun, 20.May.2001 um 18:42:55 -0400 schrieb Drazen Pantic:

> 1.1.3 HasciiCam

Hey Drazen,

great that you mention HasciiCam here. HasciiCam is based on AAlib,
a C library which renders bitmap into ASCII art real-time. It always
seemed to me that the work of the AAlib programmers (which includes other
software such as Aview, an ASCII art graphics viewer, and BB, a ASCII
art graphics demo) has been silenced in Net.art because it comes straight
from the Free Software community and has no links to the Net.art
establishment.

> 2.2. Java Player

There's one problem with Java Players: All JVMs I know presuppose a
graphical user interface, cannot be used under Unix or DOS text consoles
and thus render the approach somewhat pointless. (Contrary to in Net.art
media labs, there are still stubborn weirdos working without GUIs under
the text console - like me right now -, for whom viewing ASCII video
and graphics is a non-ironic alternative to wasting precious system
resources on an X server!)

Do you have an open spec for the decoding of the stream available? I
think it would be good to write a _true_ ASCII viewer in Perl or C
(which would also require less system resources than a Java applet).

Florian

(watching TV over hasciicam at home since a couple of months)

--
http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~cantsin/
http://www.complit.fu-berlin.de/institut/lehrpersonal/cramer.html