Aldon Hynes on Wed, 23 May 2001 03:54:10 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Tom Frank: Perpetual Revolution (Le Monde Diplomatique, May 2001)

Hmmm.... As I read this, I cannot help but think about
the parallels between nettime and advertising...

youth counterculture has some sort of innate
transgressive power

call boldly for the breaking of "rules", and insist
defiantly on being "extreme"

And there is far, far too much of it

must shock and startle in order to deliver its payload

<http://www.en.monde-diplomatique.fr/2001/05/03bigsellfrank>

> [...]
> problems.
>
> To get over them, advertising people have erected a
> cult of creativity in
> which advertising must shock and startle in order to
> deliver its payload.
> Advertising reveres the new not only out of
> structural necessity - today's
> product is always better than last year's model -
> but also because novelty
> is the only way to get a sales message across. As a
> result, the people who
> craft advertising tend to be extremely hip: the
> unstructured office is an
> invention of Madison Avenue, as is the now
> omnipresent tradition of casual
> dress in the workplace.
>
> French advertising executive Jean-Marie Dru
> described the now-standard
> creative procedure in his 1996 book Disruption (1).
> In order to sell
> whatever deodorant or allergy remedy it is he has
> been assigned to sell,
> the adman must identify some social "convention"
> (one of those "ready-made
> ideas that maintain the status quo"), then smash it
> in an orgasmic process
> that Dru calls "disruption". "Stir the pot, alter
> the rules, wake up the
> consumer and create change", he says - all this to
> figure out a way to
> align the brand for which he toils with some larger
> "vision" of human
> liberation.
>
> Successful brands, then, are those that declare
> themselves at war with
> social conventions of all kinds. Dru lovingly
> describes commercials in
> which prudish old folks are humiliated by
> pleasure-loving youngsters, in
> which Guinness beer is adopted by young
> nonconformists as "a new way of
> expressing their own individualism," and in which
> old-fashioned
> hierarchical management ideas are derided by
> Macintosh, whom Dru describes
> as "an antiestablishment company."
>
> One convention, though, is specifically off-limits
> to the corporate
> "disrupter": brand loyalty. "In fact, there is no
> paradox, no
> contradiction between disruption and increasing
> brand loyalty," Dru
> reassures us. "If companies and brands do not
> disrupt, there is an
> increased risk that consumers will become blas and
> lost interest in
> brands. With disruption, their interest and loyalty
> is renewed."
>
> The process is presented as at once mundane and
> apocalyptic. Every
> management writer these days is calling himself a
> "revolutionary". But
> some people have something much greater in mind: the
> colonisation by
> business of nothing less than the notion of social
> justice. For a brand's
> vision to succeed, Dru asserts, it must be "made of
> dreams", a process
> which he illustrates with quotes from various
=== message truncated ===