John Horvath on Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:35:23 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Planet destroyed; film at 11

Just two short comments.

tarikh korula wrote:

> a small point, but yes, i do think that's the same actually. correct me
> if i'm wrong, but didn't we "create" the species/breeds themselves?

I think this is stretching the truth a little far. A little further on
you write:

> i was always
> under the impression that we created the species by inter and cross
> breeding wolves, with the intent of domesticating them.

Are you saying we also "created" poodles from wolves?

Your knowledge of history is similarly skewed when you write:

> is the same deal, native americans cross bred wheat until they had
> created a new vegetable.

I'm curious, what was this "new" vegetable that was created from wheat?
But more to the point, native Americans never cultivated wheat in the
first place. Maize was a staple for many, and was the basis for what
they used as flour. In fact, wheat was introduced to the continent by
the Europeans who had "discovered" it.

John