T. Bethune-Leamen on Tue, 19 Jun 2001 22:09:18 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Is the religious impulse a neuro-chemical condition?

what i want to know is why?!?!?! why are people separating the 2 things. or
at least, why are they surprised by the this information. having
neurological explanations for nirvana and spiritual experiences in no way
devalues the spirituality of the experience.  it's one in the same.  of
course anyone who believes in a god entity separate from us is going to have
trouble with this. but you will never change these people's minds about
that.

just as god is equally as formidable if it is our creation as opposed to the
other way around.  we are formidable as god, and even the creation of
spiritual and religous systems that are our placebo for our strength within
us, that for some reason some people can't acknowledge (or weren't allowed
to acknowledge), well the history, culture and art created by religions and
its self-help applications are amazing.  and if that's what we needed to get
this far, so be it.  not that many religions weren't/aren't tyranical and
stifling.

the experiences are spiritual and neurological.  of course they are, how
else would they manifest in us but to be created by us.

you can paint a painting of the universe but you can also 'reduce' it to a
mathematical equation, they're both valid/real/whatever.

"Could the flash of wisdom that came over Siddhartha Gautama –  the
Buddha – have been nothing more than his parietal lobe quieting down?
Could the voices that Moses and Mohammed heard on remote mountain tops
have been just a bunch of firing neurons –  an illusion? Could
Jesus's conversations with God have been a mental delusion?"

Siddartha Gautama's revelations (and all those other people mentioned above)
were not an illusion, they are experiences based in science, they would have
been more of an illusion if they weren't.

I think it's more important that we find the parallels in different schools
of thought as opposed to building arguments to discredit eachother.  they
are just different languages from the same source.

Tara Bethune-Leamen
tv_bl@hotmail.com