josh zeidner on Wed, 18 Jul 2001 19:29:58 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Adam Curry: Formats - We need them like we need a hole in the head

 I think Adam Curry is missing something here.  I
think the reason that Napster/Winamp( and all of its
ancillary systems like Freenet, etc ) became popular
because: music is free, and you can get exactly what
you want without any commercials.  What Curry is
implying here is to apply Napster to the same model as
radio( with all the payola and what not ).  Sure, some
people will not notice the difference straight off,
but eventually, people will regard it as the same
thing as radio.  Ultimately, the great thing about
napster was that it levelled the playing field, and
people could easily and immediately download the music
from thier favorite artists, rather than subscribing
to particular 'genres' and allowing others to make
these decisions for them( namely, the music companies
).  I dont think that I have to explain to the people
here is that the greatest artists are the ones that
ulitmately defy the genre definitions as made by the
music companies.

 -josh z

http://adamcurry.editthispage.com/stories/storyReader$161

> [...]
> to do is perform one search query across all P2P
> file storage
> systems and you are presented with multiple options
> for
> downloading the desired song.
>
> Ever since CD-ROM drives could play audio CD's,
> players have
> included "Playlists". Basic single-tree outlines
> that played
> music in sequence as defined by the user, or if
> desired, at
> random with features such as repeat (once).
>
> Unfortunately even the hottest P2P file (mp3)
> sharing
> technologies haven't brought us much further than
> the personal
> playlist functionality for our modern "Play Out
> Systems" like
> WinAmp and other media players.
>
> Unbeknownst to most listeners, radio DJ's almost
> NEVER compile
> their own playlists. Logistically this is important,
> because one
> DJ could choose to end his set or show with
> Madonna's "Holiday"
> while the next DJ had scheduled that as the first
> song in his
> playlist. Separation is an issue at the playout
> system level.
>

> There is however another layer in the (broadcasting)
> chain:
>
> Formats .
>
> Formats are the magical element in virtually every
> product or service, it is what mankind uses to
> differentiate them
> selves. McDonalds has a great fast food format,
> closely
> replicated by Burger King, but never quite the same,
> and judging
> from their burgers, they both provide similar
> content, but
> perhaps from different suppliers and in turn their
> burgers
> contain scriptable formats, differing in order,
> elements and
> texture.
>
> Back to our radio station example; The highest paid
> executives at
> radio stations (after some notorious airtalent) are
> the program
> director and music director. These two functions
> work closely
> together to determine the exact format of the
> station and what
> content they will fill the format with.
>
> Some example formats are Contemporary Hit Radio
> (CHR) which many
> equate to "Top 40" Album Oriented Rock (AOR) is
> another popular
> format as is the now increasingly popular MIX format
> (60's 70's
> and 80'). These are just a few and new formats such
> as
> Alternative Rock and EDGE are appearing all the
> time.
>
> In essence all radio formats are based over time,
> typically in 60
> minute increments in turn subdivided into quarter

=== message truncated ===