eon on Mon, 20 Aug 2001 17:05:31 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> bomboclat: netstrike communicate

its a variant of the so-called "Spanish Prisoner" scam,
desiged to trick you into paying lots of money up front
to help to transport the alleged fortune in cash and /or
valuable (which by the way never happens!).  In the end
victims of these scams end up losing.

I first received one of these escams from Nigeria over
one and a half years ago with a quite convincing and extremely
factually accurate of an account of a coup in Siera-Leone,
allegedly from the widow of one of theose who was tried and
hanged for the coup (who was the minister of Finance during
the coup who allegedly embezzled millions of dollars), asiking
for help in transporting 2 "metal suitcases" allegedly
containing over 2 million $.

I consulted legal expert Ron Kuby (former partner of the Late
William Kunstler) about the message.  His advice was to delete
it and ignore it.  He also said "it looks like that old scam has
moved to email--it used to come in an envelope in regular mail
in the past..."

--Paul