TONGOLELE on Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:20:38 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] borderhack

Dear Fran Ilich,
 I realize from the nettime-latino list that you are currently receiving
heated emails from critics about your borderhack event and don't want to give
the impression that I just want to add fuel to the fire. However, for a long
while now, each time I read your postings, I am left wondering why you
present your borderhack endeavors as if there had never been an organized
attempt before yours to develop a critical/artistic approach to the US-Mexico
border. It may just be that you believe that using computers makes everything
different but the content of the work you present and the content of your own
essays read like re-runs of the manifestos of the Border Arts Workshop in the
1980s. They too wanted to bring the border down, explore the area as a zone
of intercultural exchange, point to human rights violations, and theorize a
border sensibility using the notion of the deterritorialized undocumented
Mexican as a trope. They brought the hybrid pop cultural forms of the region
into the spotlight, from norteņo punk rock to Tijuanense detective fiction,
to Bart Simpson in sombreros and velvet paintings of Elvis. The didn't work
with computers so much, but they used radio, fax machines, cheap printing
processes, and connected with alternative information distribution networks
via the mail art circuit, an important precursor to the current net.art
arena. They organized cultural events at the border, did performances across
the border fence, and in a metaphorical way, were "hacking" long before you
got there, and before any mainstream museum ever took interest in the area.
Scores of academics in both the US and Mexico started thinking about the
border as the starting point of hybridity because of the work that BAWTAF has
done, and because of the contributions of such writers and artists as
Guillermo Gomez-Peņa, Gloria Anzaldua, Alurista and so on. In addition, from
the 1960s onward, Chicano artists were talking about a territory without
borders and making art about the region, laying a groundwork for the
sensibility you now claim as your own. It is dismissive and even ignorant to
describe all these efforts as "cliched" approaches to the border - I honestly
don't see that what you propose as very different other than that you propose
to transpose this work into a virtual context. The other real difference I
see is that you want to draw a predominantly European and Euro-American
net.art crowd from nettime to TJ and link the US-Mexico border scene to the
European art scene -- now what would that do for the border and the people
who live and work there? Still, it is historically inaccurate to suggest that
artists first got concerned about borders in Europe first during the last
Documenta as you have written -- artists have been working on the US-Mexico
border for much much longer than that. What does seem terribly odd is that it
would appear that you must erase the history of border culture in order to
cast your own venture as the starting point. Now why would that be necessary?
Why make net.art partake of that violent modernist tradition of having to
demolish everything in order to make one's own creativity seem original? Why
not bring all your peers and colleagues from a variety of disciplines and
histories into dialogue together to share border culture? Why turn your back
on the past and even on other artists working in the present (BAW TAF still
exists, for example) and only pay attention to one digerati clique that too
often mistakes itself for the only politicized avant garde to have ever
emerged in the history of the world?
Sincerely,
Coco Fusco