{ brad brace } on Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:33:46 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: borderhack

I guess I still appreciate the intent of the project; if
globalism really _is inevitable, and can turn out to be
marginally democratic, then people have to be as free as
capital is, to cross borders. But perhaps the focus should
be on less visible machinations.

I visited coastal/SW Texas last winter and was amazed how
easy it seemed to cross the "border" (I'm sure I did,
accidentally) -- which was often, at best, just a raised
mound of earth, occasionally patrolled by white Jeeps, with
some generator-driven spot-lights here and there. There were
also all these tethered, white BATF blimps in the air, that
monitored low-flying marijuana-laden planes from Mexico.
Apparently, it is quite common for locals (who are
economically dependent on the border-patrol industry), to
come across big bales of hemp on the road...  jettisoned by
detected smugglers.

/:b