hidenori watanave on Sat, 1 Sep 2001 17:10:08 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] [TOKYO GROUND]PROJECT

Hello nettimers,
I want to introduce a very interesting project here.

http://tenplusone.inax.co.jp/tokyoground/index.html

It is the project [Tokyo ground] which Shunichi Nomura of the Meiji
University doctoral course is leading.(I advised on the interface design.)

I regard this project on the theme of [the horizontal side on consciousness]
as very significant.I think that this project also has the very Japanese
side or style.

Nomura's lead sentence is shown below for details.

------------------

"Tokyo ground"

Tokyo is located in the largest gently-sloping Kanto plain in Japan, and,
generally is called superficial metropolis. however, if you are actually
living in Tokyo, don't think at all that this is a gently-sloping place, but
foresee the complicated whole rather -- doesn't it sense that it is the
environment which is not? Why has gap arisen by reality and feelings in this
way?

Let's observe Tokyo not through a plane but through a section. There, it is
various underground space besides a terrestrial structure. And the earth
surface in Tokyo exists so that underground may be separated from the
ground. This earth surface is defined socially and in culture, and will be
caught also from the position of the ground or underground.
However, is hardly a citizen conscious about this defined earth surface, and
defined ground and underground? Because, it moves, and if it notices, its
present locations are the ground and underground between when. And differing
from defined them often even has above all the grasp of the ground and
underground carried out based on sense. After looking at Tokyo from the
section, we came to be conscious about the gap of reality and feelings all
the more.

The "Tokyo ground" carries out the visualization of the earth surface caught
in the image different from defined earth surface. That is, "imaginal /
cognitive geography". In manufacturing this cognitive map, We investigated
first the "Ground-underground" which is underground which can be grasped as
the ground, and the "Underground-ground" which is the ground which can be
grasped as underground. Next, another earth surface in Tokyo was knit by
connecting the new ground level re-extracted from each.

The fieldwork in Tokyo suffers troubles. When it says repeatedly, It is
because it is hard to grasp a whole image. However, nevertheless, it is also
clear to be respectively caught as feelings from two or more viewpoints.
The viewpoint of a total 55 was mapped in the "Tokyo ground." Please
remember that literary-man Italo Calvino of Italy described many 55 views of
city with rich imaginative power once by his work "le citta invisibili".
That is, we became the traveler who observes the mysterious realm of Tokyo
in detail.

*
We have noticed soon that Tokyo is not flat at all through the "Tokyo
ground." That is, Tokyo located in the largest gently-sloping Kanto plain in
Japan was a ground level in Japan with the ups and downs most intense as a
matter of fact.

Shun'ichi NOMURA