n ik on Thu, 6 Sep 2001 17:46:57 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Pierre Khalfa (ATTAC-France) on violence & themovement after Genoa

>After Genoa, a few thoughts on violence and the current state of the
>movement .
>Pierre Khalfa .

its interesting how many ppl there are in the 'movement' now (it
reminds me of a statistic i once heard - apparently there are now 2
million americans who went to woodstock now - far more than were
actually there).

firstly, its not a movement. there are many networks and movements
that have converged on international financial institutions, & global
bodies that regulate (or have a hand in regulating) international
trade and finance. most of these networks and movements are radical,
anti-authoritarian and anti-capitalist. a few are more reformist in
nature.

its these reformist networks, movements, and organisations whose
'friends' are now coming to the party. Greenpeace have put out a
'globalisation' kit in Australia. Friends of the Earth Europe has
called for a expulsion of the 'violent' protesters from the
'movement'. Bono and Geldof are putting on their shades and taking
care of business. More and more moderate reformists (who all happen
to have quite a bit at stake in the current order(s)) are calling for
'control', for us to 'police ourselves', and for certain ppl to 'take
charge' of the movements(s).

who are these ppl to take charge? i don't remember seeing any
messages from them when we did the first global day of action in may
1998. Or see them standing next too me in the streets on J18. Or hear
their bones being broken on the streets around the world since.

The majority of the networks and movements that have created this
current series of actions and confrontations are just as much
anti-authoritarian as they are anti-capitalist. any call for self
policing or control or taking charge cannot have come from within the
majority of the networks and movements that make up what the
journalists laughingly call the 'anti-globalisation movement'.

Any attempt to exert control on these networks and movements will
either fail dismally (the positive outcome) and the reformists will
be cast to one side, or it will collapse under the divide and conquer
tactics of NGO's, 'professional advocates', and reformists who are
acceptable to the media and have a minimal amount of support (the
negative 'incorporation' outcome).

Pierre Khalfa talks as thought the second possibility were
inevitable. The irony is that if it weren't for the intervention of
people like him, that possibility would be impossible. It is
compromise that will kill this series of networks and movements - not
'extremism'.

The Black Bloc(s) and other militant direct action blocs have played
the most vital of roles in this latest series of actions - polite
advocacy to the powerful few has played no role at all.

As for the differences between Quebec and Genoa ? - in Quebec there
wasn't a group  of 400 fascists and police running around dressed in
black to form a convenient excuse for the police to attack, and a
convenient excuse for the reformists to call for 'control' (under
their wise and gentle guiding hand of course).

Yes these networks and movements are in the midst of a debate on
tactics and strategies at the moment. And it is interesting how high
an opinion most ppl have of the black bloc, and of other militant
direct action tactics and strategies. I think that they will all
remain a part of these networks and movements for quite some time
yet. I'm not so sure about the reformist elements of the movement who
would be quite happy with a seat at the table though. I fear they
will not be with us for long,

nik