rcam on Fri, 7 Sep 2001 19:30:24 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] RE: <nettime> Pierre Khalfa (ATTAC-France) on violence & the movement after Genoa

Personally, I would not mind much if 'recuperation' implied a better life
for billions of people.  But I very much doubt that a better life by such
means is possible, if it ever was, which means that the process of
'recuperation' consists fundamentally of acts of 'self' policing.

I'm guessing that, in order for Attac to re-open negotations over a Tobin
Tax (bleck), or perhaps just to re-animate the idea since it seems a little
stale, they have to be seen to be in a position to purge and denounce, to be
'in control', to trade off the docility of 'the movement' for a seat at the
table.  Otherwise, why would anyone from the state even bother to talk to
them if they can get nothing in return?  In other words, Nik, I think you
should not be too distracted by Khalfa's lectures on violence - it's a
precondition of lobbying is all...

later,
Angela