Ivo Skoric on Sat, 8 Sep 2001 22:11:51 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> It's the law!-Or is it the money?

I am not an idealist, God forbid, what made you think so? Also,
knowing a lot pf people on both sides of Atlantic, I am not so sure if
just a relative few share my beliefs, but if it is so, it does not prove
them wrong. The majority of people once believed that the earth is
flat. Today we all know that the earth is not flat - yet majority of us
still acts as if it is.

I do not remember speculating that I would act in a life threatening
situation in a way which is not self defensive. Survival instinct is
something that comes wired into our hardware, and while humans
can to extent over-ride those instructions, only in very rare
occassions any human being would choose to do so in a life
threatening situation. I have no reasons to believe that I would do
so. I pledged my readiness to accept risks that may be life
threatening, but I did not say I would resign myself to them. I would
fight as good as I can.

We all act within the framework - as if it would be possible to act
out of it. But not all of us are acting in a way to change the
framework. Actually, the majority is acting in a way to re-enforce
the existing framework. And the rest are out of the mainstream, i.e.
idealistic. I essentially try to act the way I believe. It is sometimes
a 'collateral damage' that others feel criticized by my beliefs or
lifestyle.

Declaring the issues of drinking age and speed limits silly, means
to decide not to devote any resources to change those laws. Of
course, I agree that I can hardly present those two issues as
seriously threatening to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. Not
only because one of it (the drinking age) is and can only be
infracted by adolescents and the other only by the people who
drive, but because neither are treated as felonies. But they are
indeed annoyances uneccessary in the land of the free. I used
them mostly as parables.

Because I am not a racial minority, my chances to land in a real
prison are many times too low for me to be able to explore the
issues that really threaten the fabric of American justice, social
peace and democracy. On the other hand - teenagers in Texas can
end up in jail if they were caught drinking for the third time. And
drivers around the country can lose their licenses, despite their
families rely on the income that depends on their driving, and
despite they did not actually comit any crime, but merely broke a
'silly' law. There are other issues that I didn't mention: three strikes
you are out that put thousands of non-violent petty criminals in
jails, mandatory sentences that took away the discretion of the
judges in sentencing and put prosecutors in charge of justice, zero-
tolerance that crowded prisons with ordinary youth, found in
possession of a substance legal in many civilized Western
democracies. Should I go further?

The immigration laws that threat asylum seekers as guilty until
proven innocent? The landlord-tenant laws that give
disproportionatelly more rights to landlords? The labor laws that
give disproportionatelly more rights to employees in the market of
ever less unionized labor force? The laws that are discretely
steered in a way to put more racial minorities and/or low income
persons in prison - like the Connecticut law that provides for a
mandatory sentences for people found in possession of illegal
substances that live in public housing projects? You are an
attorney in Louisiana, you should be familiar with those things. A
friend of mine just finished a documentary about Louisiana prisons
for TLC.

And you are not right that I am seeking license, not freedom. I am
seeking freedom, not license. In freedom, licensing is un-
neccessary. But if a society starts from a premise that some
things simply cannot be left free, then license is neccessary. I do
not start from that premise.

If we take into account that in sixties Kennedy's were shot
because of their political activity, and today they die by hitting a
tree while skiing or driving their sport planes into the ocean, then
you may be onto something with the James Crotty mockery of
Nietzsche on Oprah (the mock Nietzsche was right about Oprah's
show, I think). I also had a chance to die for a 'good cause',
perhaps, should I have stayed in former Yugoslavia. In the U.S. I'd
have to risk my life snowboarding over some steep avalanche
terrain. This sounds more interesting, though, than to resign to the
less thrilling alternatives that the mock Oprah offers (and they
sound kind of like the opening of The Fight Club, I am sure Crotty
is a fan).

I am utterly confused with his examples of genuine heroism -
Caesar, Napoleon and Nietzsche?! Caesar and Napoleon were
unscrupulous conquerors and tyrants. Under present world
standards they would both be tried for war crimes and crimes
against humanity, including genocide. One was killed by his peers
and the other was imprisoned for life by his enemies. In their wake
they left millions of people dead, displaced and disinherited. Yet
the history remembers them only as great leaders. Ok, Napoleon
gave us metric system and canned food. But, what's wrong with
Hitler, then? He gave us the autobahn! Nietzsche on the other hand
kind of does not fit with Napoleon and Ceasar in the 'heroes'
cathegory. Guy was a teacher of classical languages, what on
earth could he change? Plus, he had a really nasty, non-idealist,
very mainstream sister that managed to obtain a really bad name
for him and his most enticing writings.

Then, if you like Nietzsche's philosophy, you should have some
simpathy for my view of the over-regulated U.S. mainstream
existence. It is putting a heavy toll on that bridge that we are,
between what we used to be and what we ought to become.

Sincerely,

Ivo Skoric
Ivo Skoric
1773 Lexington Ave