Ivo Skoric on Wed, 12 Sep 2001 18:45:16 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] It was supposed to be such a beautiful day

Yesterday, it was such a beautiful sunny September day in New
York city that the only cloud in the sky was the one raising from
the rubble of the World Trade Center.

I don't think we can be sure as of yet who did it. Osama bin Laden
and his group are obvious suspects - because they already
attacked WTC, and maybe they just came back to finish the job.
Hezbollah on the other hand has the history of trying to crash a
hijacked passenger plane in a building. And nobody even mentions
the non-Arab, non-Palestine related options, because they are
simply to scary to contemplate: like what if this is 'domestic'
terrorism?

Regardless, of who did it, however, this was an act of war. This
was the single largest atrocity committed against the U.S. on its
soil since the Declaration of Independence. It is also important to
note that the DoD's beloved Space Shield would do absolutely
nothing to protect the U.S. from such an attack that came from
inside and was executed by the tools of American corporate
business (2 passenger jets owned by the American Airlines and 2
passenger jets owned by the United Airlines), used against the
symbols of American economic and military might. Doesn't it look
improbable that Pentagon got a direct hit? That was sure enough to
humble American arrogance. Yet, that was not enough for the
terrorists.

That's why I agree with Ruth Wedgwood, a Yale University law
professor and terrorism expert, that this is not only an act of war,
but also a war crime. Crashing a plane full of passengers in a busy
city district at the beginning of a workday should classify clearly as
a war crime, on pair with what people in former Yugoslavia or
Rwanda did to each other. New York yesterday and today feels like
Sarajevo felt after shelling the markeplace. Public transportation did
not run, exits from the city were closed down, schools are closed,
markets are closed, all airports around the country are shut down,
4000 daily flights are grounded, hospitals in the city are
overwhelmed with hundreds, thousands of injured, and we don't
even know yet the number of victims. People are eerily calm. Black
teenagers here on my corner are unusually quiet and still. It seems
that all passengers in subways got a few more wrinkles on their
faces than they had yesterday, and everybody is paying the fare,
regardless of the service doors being left wide open. The 'hyper-
power' is on its knees. UN, World Bank, Capitol, White House,
Treasury, State Department and Pentagon are evacuated. And New
York will probably never be the same again. I feel the same
emptiness as I felt when Mostar lost the Old Bridge. Holy shit -
UPS just this moment delivered a package to me - functioning
parcel service suggests return to 'normalcy', that's encouraging.

About the perpetrators, there are several technical things that are
kind of clear: some of them had to be trained pilots capable of
driving most modern US passenger jets precisely (Iraqis?). The
research of the US flight schedules was done meticulously, as to
get a couple of wide fuselage planes, well filled with fuel (intended
to fly accross the continent), hitting the twin towers from various
points of origins within half an hour. Everything points to terrorists
being well rehearsed and well informed.

I don't see any other way but to have perpetrators and their
supporters brought to justice. Nobody quite expected such a
massive, well co-ordinated (4 airliners hijacked simultaneously at 4
different airports) and, unfortunately, highly succesfull attack on the
land of the law, such as happened yesterday morning. September
11th will perhaps be remembered in the world's history, because I
can't imagine world ever be the same after today in regards to
fighting terrorism. I am obviously afraid that citizens will have to put
up with even more curtailing of their freedoms to assure their
safety. I am just thinking of what nightmare it is going to be to fly
inside the US now, with all the increased security that would be put
in place to prevent of this happening again - that's why, obviously, I
would prefer that the perpetrators are caught sonner than later.

As for the reasons - for quite a while we were all aware of how the
rule of American law may convey injustice to some people. It is
this feeling of injustice and the feeling of helplessness to prevent
that injustice, that breeds anger, rage and hate, and ultimately it
breaks out in irreversible acts of horrific terrorism. It is true that
Palestinians were and still are victims at the hands of the world.
And the routes for them to obtain redress are clogged on purpose
for a long time. So, for a quite a while they resort to terrorism,
including suicidal terrorism. It is true that during NATO's bombing
campaign over Yugoslavia, many innocent Yugoslav citizens died.
And it is also true that during the Gulf War a much larger number of
innocent Iraqis died. Judging by the celebratory mood on streets of
Gaza (and even some e-mail messages that came from Belgrade),
there are people who do feel a sense of poetic justice in using
American passenger planes as cruise missiles to 'punish' the
cruise missiles makers. There is no doubt that in some people's
minds the U.S. 'deserved' such a reckoning. I hope the U.S. would
take this into consideration in its search for the perpetrators and in
whatever action it choses to take against them.

>From Manhattan:
ivo skoric