Richard Sewell on Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:35:08 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Richard Stallman: Thousands dead, millionsdeprived of civil liberties?

At 08:51 18/09/01 -0700, Steve Cisler wrote:
>I would be interested to hear opinions from nettimers who are not
>Americans about how they perceive our level of security was up until
>September 11. When you were in the states did you feel things were
>lax, oppressive, or about the same as your home country?

 From the point of view of a UK resident, it seems about the same. I can
carry a penknife on a plane, my passport gets scrutinised when I arrive,
and so on.

But I'm not sure that security is really the issue here, in that this
attack was carried out in a way which tighter security would have great
trouble preventing. The physical ingredients - trained pilots, sharp
objects - are not so rare or so inherently warlike as to be controllable.
-
Richard Sewell
richard@jarkman.co.uk
Phone: +44 (0)1495 762385	Mobile: +44 (0)7973 775743