ricardo dominguez on Wed, 19 Sep 2001 22:06:39 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Bomb Them With Butter, Bribe Them With Hope.

Bomb Them With Butter, Bribe Them With Hope.
     Jay Wilder [jayw88@home.com]

     A military response, particularly an attack on Afghanistan, is exactly
     what the terrorists want.  It will strengthen and swell their small but
     fanatical ranks.

     Instead, bomb Afghanistan with butter, with rice, bread, clothing and
     medicine.  It will cost less than conventional arms, poses no threat of
     US casualties and just might get the populace thinking that maybe the
     Taliban don't have the answers.  After three years of drought and with
     starvation looming, let's offer the Afghani people the vision of a new
     future. One that includes full stomachs.

     Bomb them with information. Video players and cassettes of world
     leaders, particularly Islamic leaders, condemning terrorism.  Carpet
the
     country with magazines and newspapers showing the horror of terrorism
     committed by their "guest".  Blitz them with laptop computers and DVD
     players filled with a perspective that is denied them by their
     government. Saturation bombing with hope will mean that some of it gets
     through.  Send so much that the Taliban can't collect and hide it all.
     The Taliban are telling their people to prepare for Jihad. Instead,
     let's give the Afghani people their first good meal in years.  Seeing
     your family fully fed and the prospect of stability in terms of food
and
     a future is a powerful deterrent to martyrdom. All we ask in return is
     that they, as a people, agree to enter the civilized world.  That
     includes handing over terrorists in their midst.

     In responding to terrorism we need to do something different. Something
     unexpected..something that addresses the root of the problem.  We need
     to take away the well of despair, ignorance and brutality from which
the
     Osama bin Laden's of the world water their gardens of terror.

     Please pass this along.

     It is important that we learn to think in NEW ways.
     If we continue attacking in the old ways we will get the same old
results.
     Look at what has been happening the middle east for thousands of years
     to see what we can expect if we attack with bombs and military force.
     Do we want to live a life of fear as people in the middle east do?