Paul D. Miller on Sun, 23 Sep 2001 00:40:27 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> from hypertext to codework

Ken - I'm sitting here in Florida, and just have to sigh a little
bit. This is the problem with the digital media scene - it is SUPER
WHITEBREAD - there is alot more going on....  I'm not attacking you,
I just wish that the computer "art/literary" scene - especially where
it comes to "language as code" - would think about precedents for
theater and spectacle outside of the normal discourse that goes on in
spots like nettime... at the end of the day, the "visual interface"
that most of digital culture uses to create art/text/etc etc is not
neutral, and again, this is a Mcluhan refraction of the old inner
ear/eye thing, but with a little bit more of a technical twist.
There's a great essay that the physicist David Bohm wrote on this
topic called "Thought as a System" - the idea of progress is a
convergence of these "visual cues" that hold the eye and hand
together when we think... Multi valent/multi-cultural approaches to
language and all of the sundry variations its going through right
now, are what make this kind of stuff alot more interesting... Artaud
was the fellow who invented the term "virtual reality" not Jaron
Lanier... think of the media repetitions of the WTC as a scene out of
"Theater of Cruelty" and combine it with how mourning passes through
the media sphere a la Princess Diana's death etc etc and you get the
idea of the whole gestalt of this kind of thing... or even the way
that linguistic permutation has evolved out of music and spoken text
(think of Cab Calloway or Kurt Schwitters or later material like John
Cage's 'mesotics' (I'm writing this off the cuff... did I spell that
right?), and even the way dj's play with words while spinning music
in a set - this in itself is one of the major developments of 20th
century culture: the ability not just to accept the linguistic
regulations of a situation (again, Debord meets Grand Master
Flash...) - but to constantly change them. This is one of the major
issues that Henry Louis Gates wrote about in his "Signifying Monkey"
essay a long while ago, but you can easily see the digital component
of the same system of thought on-line when people play with words as
domain names etc etc....  there's shareware like Ray Kurzweil's
Cybernetic Poet
http://www.kurzweilcyberart.com/poetry/rkcp_overview.php3

and hip-hop material like Saul Williams and Kool Keith, and even the
way the poetry of algorithms became rhythm (there's a great site on
the history of drum machines... http://www.drummachine.com/

and out of Australia, there's the global digital poetry site that
uses algorithms to create text and hyperlinks:
http://www.experimedia.vic.gov.au/~komninos/maysites.html

or even the "visual thesaurus" that creates 3-D models of how words
relate to one another...
http://www.thinkmap.com/

and even more MAX/MSP based code material from stuff like composer
Karlheinz Essl's explorations of free jazz and code structures with
his "lexicon-sonate" programs:
http://www.essl.at/works/lexson-online.html

or nifty stuff like Chris Csikszentmihalyi's "Robot Dj" that does
stuff like cuttin' and scratchin' - after all "phonograph" breaks
down to "Sound - writing" i.e.  "phonetics of graphology..."

http://www.dj-i-robot.com/

sequencing and figuring out different permutations as core aspects of
code is an archetypal situation at this point... Alan Sondheim is
perhaps the equivalent  of an MC for Nettime, but again, the field
could and should be expanded at this point.

the idea here is to point out
1) multi-cultural variations in language (Stephen Pinker does a great
job of describing "patois" and cultural change as linguistic
variation in his "How the Mind Works") as a platform for figuring out
how codes evolve out of linguistic systems
2) multi cultural takes on this are alot more fun... and the parties
are alot better, and the music is alot better...
3) what next? Ken - how about a nick name - "Dj Oulipo" or something...

peace,
Paul

http://www2.ec-lille.fr/~book/oulipo/info/

>Codework
>McKenzie Wark
>

>What happens to writing as it collides with new media? I was thinking
>about this recently while looking over an exhibition of William Blake's
>work at the Metropolitan Museum in New York. On display was not just Blake
>the artist, Blake the poet, or Blake the quirky revolutionary. Here was
>Blake the media artist.
>
>Blake assembled all of the elements of a media practice. As a writer he
>experimented with all aspects of the production process.  His aesthetic
>did not stop with the word on the page. Here, I thought, was a useful
>precursor to name for the new developments in writing that take place on
>the Internet, developments I will shortly define as "codework."
>
>But Blake is interesting in this connection only if one embraces all
>aspects of his productivity. There's a tendency, in the teaching of
>literature and the management of its canons, to separate off the authoring
>of the text from the other aspects of writing as a production. It's a
>tendency that full attention to Blake frustrates, given how fully he was
>invested in the implication of writing in all aspects of its production
>and circulation. Blakeís creation did not stop at the threshold of "text."
>
>Digging writing out of the prison-house of "text" might just be what is
>needed to unblock thinking about where the Internet is taking writing.
>There has always been more to writing than text, and there is more to
>electronic writing than hypertext.
>
>Hypertext may have come to dominate perceptions of where writing is
>heading in the Internet era, but it is by no means the only, or the most
>interesting, strategy for electronic writing. Hypertext writers tend to
>take the link as the key innovation in electronic writing spaces. In
>hypertext writing, the link is supposed to open up multiple trajectories
>for the reader through the space of the text.
>
>Extraordinary claims were made for this as a liberatory writing strategy.
>Hypertext has its limits, however. First, the writing of the text stands
>in relation to the writing of the software as content to form. The two are
>not really brought together on the same plane of creativity. Secondly,
>hypertext tends not to circulate outside of the academic literary
>community. It has its roots in avant-garde American and English literature
>and tends to hew close to those origins. Thirdly, it doesn't really
>rethink who the writer is, in the new network of statements that the
>expansion of the Internet makes possible. For all the talk of the death of
>the author, the hypertext author assumes much the same persona as his or
>her avant-garde literary predecessors.
>
>What is interesting about the emergence of codework is that it breaks with
>hypertext strategies on all three points. In many codework writings, both
>the technical and cultural phenomena of coding infiltrates the work on all
> [...]

Port:status>OPEN
wildstyle access: www.djspooky.com

Paul D. Miller a.k.a. Dj Spooky that Subliminal Kid

Subliminal Kid Inc.

Office Mailing Address:

Music and Art Management
245 w14th st #2RC NY NY