Lachlan Brown on Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:55:35 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Fw: Re: <nettime> if ($hacking =~ $terrorism) {

> on the other hand, if i set my time machine back a few years and tell
> my few-years-ago-self that legislation would be on the table to label
> e-graffiti (and even less destructive acts) terrorism punishable by life
> imprisonment without chance for parole, my few-years-ago-self would
> probably laugh at it as sci-fi paranoia.
>
> one person to whom i forwarded the article responded with "and no dressing
> up like indians and throwing cargo in the bay!" which seems to tie into
> the gist of other discussions here along the lines of "today's terrorists
> may be regarded tomorrow as freedom fighters."

Yes, 'dressing up as Indians and throwing tea in the harbour' is specifically cited in UK legislation as just cause for the imminent arrival of the Redcoats. "Patriot" being 'the last refuge of the scoundrel' as Dr Samuel Johnson said once carried the force the word 'terrorist' carries in Britain today.

However, hacking is not terrorism. Unless the hack is specifically intended to disrupt electronic networks to influence by terror government and public opinion, or the hack contains content shown to be intelligence to aid an act of terror. I can't think of any possible example where terror could be induced by code and distributed computing.
Irritation, boredom, hilarity, annoyance, yes, but outright 757 --> WTC terror, no.

 The basic legal argument is that acts of terror are, to put it mildly, undemocratic means to influence opinion and policy. Hacking is more likely to impact upon individual, institutional or corporate rights, for which there is ample contingency in the criminal and civil laws of most countries.

This is a relief for me as I (who can hack a bit of html together, knows what a 'meta tag' is, and am wicked on mixing peoples email list up to devastating and disorientating effect) have been branded 'Hacker' by some snivelling little market whimp fascist eager to please his fat cat bosses. I have no desire to be branded 'terrorist'. Going by the paranoia building in recent posts to Nettime, I state this merely as I would not wish to end up in a 'Detention Centre in Woomera' though I an think of several potential candidates among my colleagues and former colleagues who should. Not because they have done anything to deserve such a fate, but because I would like to see them there.

  I meant to write further on the New Anti-terrorist Legislation in the UK, the likely successor model for EU and US which will impact rights and responsibilities in numerous ways and will get on with this.

  Just writing to make it clear that Hacking is NOT Terrorism.

Especially, I repeat, especially if it is effectively employed to bring about peace during the build up to a disasterous war.

 Lachlan

http://third.net