"Jürgen A. Erhard" on Tue, 2 Oct 2001 04:31:34 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> From Sea to Shining Sea

    Bruce> (((You lot probably thought I was all embittered, alarmist
    Bruce> and upset when I made that earlier post.  Well, think
    Bruce> again.)))

I didn't.  I'm in embittered, alarmist and upset mood all the time
anyway ;-) (And between Sep 11th, the public policy reactions to it,
and this... let's just say my mood didn't improve much.)

    Larry>   1) This act will sail through congress thanks to the
    Larry>      heavy lobbying of the copyright cartels.

No doubt here, I'm afraid.

    Larry>   2) The "industry" will adopt the Trust Computing Platfrom
    Larry>      Alliance's (TCPA) (http://www.trustedpc.org)
    Larry>      specification for PC's, and the CPRM/CPPM
    Larry>      (http://www.4centity.com/tech/cprm/) specification for
    Larry>      hard drives, removable storage devices, and pre-recorded
    Larry>      media.

This whole SSSCA shit almost sounds like someone at the MPAA (or, of
course, one of its members) looked at the CPRM fiasco (made public,
they had to pull their tail... at least a bit (IBM: it will be
built-in, but disabled :-P)), and remembered how easy it was to buy
the DMCA, and...

Unidentified Corporate Drone: "Eureka!"

Jack V.: "Huh?"

UCD: "We do it the DMCA way!"

Jack V.: "Huh?"

UCD: "Buy a law!  And make those suckers languish in jail w/o bail for
a while, just like that Russian!"

Jack V.: "Huh?"

The rest, as they say, is hist^H^H^H^Hsilence.

    Thomas> The only response legislation like this deserves is
    Thomas> massive, public civil disobedience. Stand out in front of
    Thomas> the White House, with old Intel boxes running Linux and an
    Thomas> open source MP3 ripper/player, and offer to sell them to
    Thomas> passerby. Have 500,000 individuals be formal members of a
    Thomas> general partnership (no liability shield) - force the
    Thomas> government to throw us all in jail and take everything we
    Thomas> own. We'll see what happens then!

Simple: they'll throw you all in jail (I'd say us if I was in the
U.S.).

I recently read an article in the NYTimes, about how various states
are revising or repealing some mandatory minimum sentencing laws.
"Because our prisons are too full, and thus too expensive."

Believed them then.

But maybe they're just making room in those big prison complexes for
all the expected SSSCA/DMCA violators?  All the Linux users, for
example (I don't expect a Linux copy-prevention scheme to get a
certification...).

Just a weird thought...

Bye, J

PS: Thomas, Larry, I just cc'd you because I think if I reply to
someone's statements, he deserves to know about it.  And since I don't
know whether you're nettime-subscribers...

--
      Jürgen A. Erhard  (juergen.erhard@gmx.net, jae@users.sf.net)
          My WebHome: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard

PGP signature