Andreas Broeckmann on Thu, 4 Oct 2001 16:19:22 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> the architecture of survival

dear jon,

with all due respect for you and for the work done by drazen, veran matic,
sasa mirkovic, gordan paunovic and many others at b92 in belgrade, but -
unless i gravely misunderstand - what you say is highly exaggerated. in
fact, b92 was broadcasting from a highrise in the centre of belgrade, most
of the time with a government license, and always with the strict attempt
to stay within the terrain of legality. sure, there was political pressure,
let alone a lot of vicious stuff happening under the milosevic government.
yet they always kept up appearances and only switched b92 off within their
own counter-legality, but tolerated the dissident radio and its
wide-ranging activities right in front of their eyes. from all i know, pgp
encryption was only used hesitantly since the kosovo war in 1999. and the
anti-milosevic message certainly - and bravely - went out on the air, in
serbia, without encryption.

to equate the situation in serbia pre-5oct00 with that in afghanistan is
nonsense and certainly does not help anybody to understand anything. don't
fall into the media trap of putting all totalitarian fundamentalist
terrorist-sponsors in one camp - that camp is too big and would, on many
counts, certainly include some people in nato-land.

regards,
-a