Kathryn Aegis on Sat, 6 Oct 2001 01:01:54 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> salman rushdie speaks...

Anastasios Kosaitis writes:
>>Yes. But, he doesn't get it.
>>
>>He speaks as an "American" but the Washington Post describes him as a
>>"British novelist."

What interested me about the op-ed piece was not the actual opinions he
expressed, but the transformed voice with which he spoke them.

That is really an incredible aspect of the process of coming out of these
events--the transformed voice that one finds after having been rendered
mute.  The voices that were speaking all along but not being heard.  And,
those who finally found a voice.  Suddenly, with the trivial noises wiped
away, they are heard with clarity.  And some of us who are used to speaking
are using this time to simply listen, and learn.

It is far too high a price to pay for a transformation, personal or
cultural.  But, if we don't use this opportunity, it will have been a much
greater loss.

Yours,
Kathryn Aegis

http://www.mindspring.com/~k_aegis/