geert lovink on Mon, 8 Oct 2001 03:14:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Conference on the Public Domain; Duke Law School Nov 9-11,2001

From: "James Boyle" <BOYLE@law.duke.edu>

Dear all,

>From Nov 9-11, Duke Law School is having a conference on the Public Domain;
we have scholars of intellectual property and cyberspace, as well as
prominent theorists of the commons, historians, appropriationist, artists,
scientists, activists, filmmakers, entrepreneurs, constitutional law
scholars... the list goes on and on. The conference
is nearly full up but there are still a few spaces. Details, schedule and a
registration form can be found at http://www.law.duke.edu/pd Please feel
free to repost to other lists.

Unfortunately, we are out of money so we can't subsidise attendees. We will,
however, be having the proceedings webcast, the conference focus papers will
be online, and we will have web discussion boards. For those who do have
independent sources of funding, and are willing to make the trip, we would
be delighted to see you.  The website has an online registration form and
there are still a few seats available. I hope the rest of you can join us
virtually.

thanks so much,

James

The Public Domain
A Conference at Duke Law School
(With the support of the Center for the Public Domain)

Excerpt from the conference description:

The last fifteen years has seen a rise in both the importance and the
strength of intellectual property rights in the world economy; rights have
expanded in areas ranging from the human genome to the internet and have
been strengthened with legally backed digital fences, lengthened copyright
terms and increased penalties. Is this expansion of intellectual property
necessary to respond to new copying technologies, and desirable because it
will produce investment and innovation? Must we privatize the public domain
to avoid a "tragedy of the commons," or
can the technologies of cheap copying and global networks actually make
common pool management more efficient than legal monopolies? Questions such
as these have thrown attention on the "other side" of intellectual property:
the public domain. What does the public domain do? What is its importance,
its history, its role in science, art, and in the building of the Internet?
How is the public domain similar to and different from the idea of a
commons? This conference, the first major meeting to focus squarely on the
topic of the public domain, will try to answer some of these questions in
areas ranging from the human genome to appropriationist art, from the
production of scientific data to the architecture of our communications
networks. For each panel, "focus papers" will be produced by authorities in
the field and made available on the Internet before the event in order to
generate discussion.

_____________________________
James Boyle
Professor of Law