Lachlan Brown on Sat, 13 Oct 2001 20:51:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] A Very American Revolution

A Very American Revolution

>Let's scrap the whole thing, and aim for the unknown ideal of
>anarcho-capitalism.

Not what I had in mind. The striving of individuals for the unknown ideal
of anarcho-Capitalism is what got you into this mess. You are going to
have to get yourselves out of it. There is a Coup underway by the National
Security State which will do away with your freedoms. Anthrax in the media
imaginary as well as in the offices of media production? (NBC, Microsoft,
Media.Inc? ) You need an effective antidote to pathogens in
your media, you need your post-Cold War revolution.

There are deep well-streams of social justice in the US based on
community, love, tolerance and sharing that are stronger than the rather
defensive forces of the far-right. The American people are not so easily
hoodwinked, bamboozled, nor are they easily run amok. However, they
are led to believe, and seem to lead themselves to believe, that for their
greater good repression in the world beyond their borders is necessary.
Ultimately, this repression returns home to become an everyday part of
peoples' lives.

You need to reassert to the letter the Constitution that was crafted by
statesmen and women during the past 220 odd years with due respect to
 love, the law, community and a range of freedoms (rights and responsibilities)
associated with individuality in collective contexts whether these be voluntary,
family, employment, governmental, corporate, educational or media-based.

As paper-based legal documents go, The Constitution of the United States
of America is a fairly sound proposal for a tolerant society free of
self-inflicted harm. Its probably worth a close reading by todays generation.

What I suggest, in defence of your Constitution, is that you go see whether
your 'conspiracy theories' mass culture anxieties played out in mass media
which helped to produce the conditions for a National Security State which is
presently on the rampage in your country and in central Asia, have any basis
in fact, or have any justification. I suggest you organise yourselves in groups
larger than one (do I have to spell it out), find a good lawyer, a good reporter
and a good doctor, make sure you are all aware of your rights, and go to the
places where the imagined evidence lies, in large numbers where necessary.
Enter those places, where they are publicly owned, ie Federal lands institutions
and buildings, especially in your Capital (I am not talking about the local library),
but you will find them in each of your States, use persuasion and if that fails force
if access is denied, gather all documentary evidence therein and share
it with other Americans publicly. It will be healthy for a media presently being
assailed by an Anthrax scare.

Its called 'a Revolution'. Surely you know the scenario? Even the Russians
managed it a while back. It should be much easier in a democracy. Once you
get it going, everyone will want to be in for the sake of kudos, as well as career
stakes, which after a certain point become over-riding concerns especially
in a self-interested society such as yours. It's already won when everyone
realises they need their 'what I did in the revolution' story to tell their
grandchildren.

Until you have your Revolution you'll continue to take up too much of our
bandwidth.

We've all got other stuff to do.

Get on with it.

Lachlan