Claudia Westermann on Fri, 19 Oct 2001 18:36:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] in reply to some peanut butter [ot] [!nt] \n2+0\

yes,
thank you Garry, Christopher or what all your names might be.

if it was not so frightening, it perhaps would be embarrassing,
if it was not so frightening, it perhaps would be insulting.

Embarrassement and insult is what I most of the time feel,
when I am confronted with such an amount of mediocrity.

You are reacting to an image. A very striking image, isn't it ?
The peanut butter for Afghanistan.

You are reacting just in the same way as you react to the image
of the falling symbols of WCT and Pentagon.
Also a very striking image.

We are in a war that has to do a lot with images. It is done very clever.
And the most frightening about it is, that it is done in such a creative way,
that I cannot even imagine what comes next.

In your replies to the image of peanut butter for Afghanistan,
you follow the expectations.

Just like the US are following all expectations of Bin Laden.
Do you reallys think, he has expected anything else,
than what the US are doing just now ?
He has calculated very well, I would say.

Your replies reveal a lot of your mediocrity and it makes me be frightened,
because I can see, that in the next step of this war, you again will
follow all expectations.
Very little of a chance that you will get creative,
which might be the only way to stop this kind of terrorism.

By the way, the US are bombing children there. A big amount of the Taliban
fighters are just children.
They never had a chance to get to know anything else than what their
leaders told them.
Very clever of Bin Laden, an army of children.
That's what you hit there. Great of you.
He probably looses nothing, what he would care about.

It is frightening, how little educated you are,
it is really frightening how little you are capable
of abstract thinking processes.
I am blaming my own country for the education system we have,
(this country probably by the way will not be a lot more clever in its
actions than the US)
but having been sent to a public Canadian High school for a while,
I have a slight idea of the education standard.
This was very embarrasing for them, because they had to put me
two classes in advance of my age, they could not put me any further,
because there was no more further.

I know that there are different schools also,
private schools for the very smart kids, who get scholarships,
or for the rich ones. But the big mass (which is doing elections)
has no chance to attend these kind of schools.

So, Garry, what you can do, if you think,
that you had the chance of being educated, having been a protester.
Think, read, get some more educated and provide your knowledge to others,
who might not have the chance. It's easy, in case you are creative.

I am saying this because I think, we will be in a very long war.
and Garry, Christopher and me also, we will be right in the middle of it.
You better start thinking and acting.

We act here, so little it seems we can do,
and sometimes someone is sending images,
very striking images.
They remind us always where we are and how much there is to do.

I am a little sorry for Syndicate list,
because now I am repeating something.
In a discussion I attended a few days ago it could be seen that the
helplessness is emormous. But at least some people realize that there
is a big lack in education and understanding of the islamic world.

Andrei Ujica, a philosopher and filmmaker suggested an approach
to the islamic world also by analysis of the work of the big Iranian
regisseur Abbas Kiarostami.

here is some link to the work of Abbas Kiarostami
http://www.zeitgeistfilm.com/current/tasteofcherry/kiarostami.html

this is only one way... you might find some others,
but closing the eyes will lead us right in the middle of something
that is very hard to imagine but very frightening.

Claudia