apolli on Fri, 19 Oct 2001 22:11:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] [PLEASE POST presentation@V2_Organisation, Rotterdam]

V2_Organisatie
Eendrachtsstraat 10, 3012 XL Rotterdam, .nl
T: ++31-10-2067272
F: ++31-10-2067271
www.v2.nl
--
Wt7.11 Info: 25.11.2001, 14.00 hours

On November 25th V2_ organises its monthly program Wiretap on the topic of
Navigation in Virtual Space. This program is being held within the wider
framework of V2_'s annual theme Grounding, which examines the impact of
technology on urban space.
During the wiretap artists, software developers and theoreticians explore
navigation systems in virtual space and human-machine interfaces. Navigation
systems in virtual environments are increasingly becoming based on 'motion
tracking' (the registration of movement). We can clearly detect a tendency
to experiment more with interfaces which feel more natural or direct to the
user than the traditional mouse/keyboard interface (the so-called command
interface).

The human body is an excellent point of departure to examine these
developments on a micro- as well as on a macro level. The bio-mechanical
activities of the body, ranging from walking (cfr. SPIN), turning of the
head (cfr. Yves Bernard) and the blinking of the eye (cfr. Andrea Polli and
Neil Wiernik, tbc), are movements we perform daily and thus do not need to
*learn* anew. Proponents of bodily-controlled interaction hold the
assumption that computer technology becomes more accessible and natural for
a larger audience by usage of *corpo_real interfaces* .

-- so we will probably be focusing here on questions of control,
participation, perception, and that O so lovely interface: the body -

Andrea Polli will perform a 20' solo audio piece with eye-tracking
technology.

Guests:
- Tim Boykett (AU/AUS), Time's UP:
http://www.timesup.org/Spin/index.html
http://www.timesup.org
- Andrea Polli (USA) audio-visual artist, using eye-tracking technology for
performances and compositions. Designer of interfaces and instruments based
on eye-tracking technology..
http://homepage.interaccess.com/~apolli/
- Yves Bernard (BE): software developer and producer of motion tracking
interfaces for a.o.. AVATAR (MUHKA, Antwerpen)
http://www.magic.be/
http://www.imal.org
http://www.continent-imaw.net

--