Ivo Skoric on Sat, 27 Oct 2001 22:09:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] (Fwd) Clinton: Boost Aid to Poor Nations

This is nice coming from Clinton. He is right on the ball here. But
he had his opportunity to change that situation. He was the US
president for 8 years, wasn't he?
ivo
Clinton: Boost Aid to Poor Nations

By CIARAN GILES
.c The Associated Press

MADRID, Spain (AP) - Former President Clinton said Thursday that the Sept. 11
terrorist attacks highlighted the need for the developed world to ``spread
the benefits and shrink the burdens'' of poor and underdeveloped countries.

``The poor can not be led by people like Mr. (Osama) bin Laden, who believe
they can find their redemption in our destruction,'' Clinton said ahead of a
two-day conference on democracy.

``But the prosperous cannot be led by those who play to our shortsighted
selfishness and continue to pretend that we can go on denying to others what
we claim for ourselves,'' he said in Madrid.

Clinton said the United States and other wealthy nations must invest in the
education and health of the poor, seek ways of eradicating the world's
climate problems and strive harder to advance democracy worldwide.

``If we are actually convinced of our common humanity, those of us that live
in prosperous countries must assume the responsibilities which flow from
it,'' Clinton told the current and past world leaders. ``We must spread the
benefits and shrink the burdens of the 21st century world.''

Earlier, former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev said he believed the deaths
in New York and Washington would not be in vain if the international
anti-terrorism coalition assembled in the attacks' aftermath brings about a
new and better world order.

``I believe if we remain united in this coalition of nations and states, we
will not only prevent a new Cold War or clash of civilizations, but we will
move toward a new world order,'' he said.

``Sept. 11 played a part in this. There will not be a death in vain if the
world wakes up and begins to reflect upon itself,'' Gorbachev said.

He said the world failed to make the most of opportunities for international
cooperation that came with the end of the Cold War a decade ago.

``Why were we talking about missiles and weapons? Why did we focus on these
things and not notice the rise of international terrorism?''

Like Clinton, Gorbachev criticized unchecked globalization, under which
``only the strong win and the weak lose.''

He expressed support for the U.S. military action but warned that the
operation should keep within the U.N. Security Council mandate. ``It must not
degenerate into a war against any state'' and should not be used by any
country for geopolitical gains, he said.

Joining them at the Conference on Democratic Consolidation and Transition are
the prime ministers or presidents of Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, the
Central African Republic, Croatia, the Czech Republic, the Dominican
Republic, Slovakia and Slovenia.

Leaders from Spain, Ghana, Haiti, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Mozambique,
Poland and Ukraine and 21 former heads of state also are expected to
participate.

AP-NY-10-25-01 1923EDT

Copyright 2001 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news
report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed
without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.  All active
hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.