Newmedia on Thu, 1 Nov 2001 15:37:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> the myth of democracy + christianity

Ian:

You raise some very interesting points . . . if I may, let me add a few --

1) Spinoza emerges as a very striking figure in Jonathan Israel's "Radical
Enlightenment," particularly in the way that he was supported (and, indeed,
published) by those around the Royal Society of London . . . "radical
materialists" of a very certain sort.

2) We are well advised to remember that "materialism" did NOT mean *Athesism*
for Spinoza, and it did not mean that Jesus Christ wasn't due for a "Second
Coming" (for many of those who found Spinoza compelling and useful) . . .
usually in their own lifetimes, of course.

3) Indeed, the direct overlap between *radical millennarianism* and *radical
materialism* is crucial . . . then and now when trying to understand the
actions of those people who believed that SCIENCE was the primary tool for
preparing this world for the 1000-year reign of Christ.  (In this regard, you
will probably find "Samuel Hartlib & Universal Reformation," Mark Greengrass,
et al. editors, enlightening.)

4) Yes, this (Spinozan/Newtonian/Hartlibena) radical agenda IS remarkably
similiar to the theme of the NAZI party -- some 250 Years later.  And, in
this regard, you might wish to examine the relationship between this *very*
powerful (and *very* personal) theme of ONE WORLD ruled by "Christ Arisen"
and many contemporary "right-wing Christian" attitudes which are both
"anti-state" and "anti-globalism" . . . in as much as the both the
NATION-STATE and the WORLD-STATE potentially stand in the way of the
anticipated 1000-year "Reich" of the risen "Christ."

Best,

Mark Stahlman
New York City