Alan Sondheim on Wed, 14 Nov 2001 04:21:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] _Moderator Intentions Regarding the _arc.hive_ Mailing List_ (fwd)

-

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:36:32 +1100
From: "][s][.Urge.Protect.][or][" <netwurker@pop.hotkey.net.au>

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
_Define:: Moderator:_
::any substance used to slow down neutrons in nuclear reactors
::someone who presides over a forum or debate
::someone who mediates disputes and attempts to avoid violence

   Obviously the criteria that governs moderation on the _arc.hive_ list
doesn't slide easily or definitively into any the categories listed above.
The expectation that the _arc.hive_ list exists in/under - in terms of
moderation - is that there won't actively (need to) be any, in terms of a
heavy handed force from above that will fix or sweep, pick or chastise in
regards to the lists subscribers/content. In my own naive fashion, I'd like
to assume that an implicit respect for others will allow for extant
list-meaning fractures/interactions without necessary recourse to
established methods of list construction and expectation [what others terms
as "nettique"....which is not a statically defined/absolute term, nor
should it be - though some view it as such].

   Hopefully the everyday communication traffic that exists in/on the
_arc.hive_ list [and therefore, in turn creates the perceived community]
will be guided by this underlying/inherent respect loading [ie respect for
other subscribers/posters as well as for the actual content of their
posts.] This isn't to assert that the list should be sanitized in terms of
content, nor that  _arc.hivers_ should deliberate or over-cogitate before
posting [unless that's your orientation, obviously] as the value of a type
of affective communication/posting is also acknowledged, such as the
instinctual reactive "text-flick".

   Correspondingly, _arc.hivers_ will be free in terms of the volume of
postings they send to the list, as it is assumed that anyone who is
technologically astute enough to join and participate in a mailing list is
also able to filter unwanted postings or request help in this regard. The
only manifest qualifier in regards to posting - as I've stressed previously
- is this latent or actual respect nuancing at all times. This allows for a
surprising amount of scope and emotional & intellectual territory to be
covered if the default assumption is that a subscriber is trying to
_communicate_ rather than spam or fragment the list community. It's a
guideline I'd like to assume exists in the _arc.hive_ underwiring, and this
[hopefully] will not need to be enforced in terms of regular moderator actions.

-

   The _arc.hive_ list [as it currently] functions is a
catcher/dissemination node of all things net, incremental or otherwise. All
that is classed by regular [email] communication channels as textual
refuse, experimental pap, or elements to be filtered or ignored are welcome
here - as are expressions we have come to expect of a burgeoning
net.community in terms of cohesive infodata - such as debates, issues,
announcements, calls to participation/conferences, etc. Content alteration
is another area that will be encouraged here, on a
creative/expressive/performative level.

  This informatically diverse mix won't cater directly for every
expectation, especially if those who hold the expectations are unable to
extend their perceptions towards building a community/list space in which
the underlying aim is to create and express via an avenue where value [of
both poster and post] is the primary consideration. What Martin [ftr] and I
had in  mind when formulating this list was the need to offer an
alternative to existent methods of net.wurk formulation [in terms of theory
& shape.age] via email lists and the communities that are shaped around them.

   We hope you will feel comfortable joining and contributing to
_arc.hive_. Go to:
http://lm.va.com.au/pipermail/_arc.hive_/
to subscribe.

][k][links,