Floor van Spaendonck on Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:49:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] TV NOVA

TV NOVA

Invitation to contribute and to participate

>From 5 till 9 December 2001 in Brussels

Cinema Nova started in 1997 and is an autonomous non-profit cinema in
the city centre of Brussels that screens mainly undistributed films.
Cinema Nova has organised under the name « TV NOVA » regular public
meetings with individuals and organisations active in the domain of
independent television making. During the evening, the guests will
present fragments of their work, their specific way of working and the
constraints they are confronted with, followed by a debate with the
audience.

Cinema Nova proposes now to contribute to and participate in a meeting
that involves independent televisions from Europe and outside. We target
audio-visual media made by citizens, grass roots initiatives,
independent local televisions, community based televisions, broadcast by
cable, web, hertz or satellite.

It seems important to us that these experiences from all over the world
have a place and a space to meet. Very often, they might have heard of
one another, but there's no structural communication amongst them,
although they all share the same kind of experiences and problems.

The idea is to create the necessary instruments for permanent exchange
of information, films and/or images, and to create the necessary
conditions to distribute on an international level.

THE PROGRAM

Thematic workshops

Animated by participants whose projects or experiences are significant
and remarkable… These workshops are moments of exchange and discussion
around a specific theme, and can be followed by a more specific and
practical workshop, depending on the participants’ propositions.

(Starting at 2 p.m. – some of the contributors are to be confirmed)

Wednesday 5/12: first meeting point

Welcome and presentation of TV Nova and projects of all participants;
this is the first collective contact. This afternoon permits to the
participants to prepare the workshop.

Thursday 6/12: "Other forms of media-activism"

How to use video as a source of counter-information, as a mean of
analysis and investigation in processes of participation and political
decisions (civil empowerment)

Axel Claes (PTTL / Brussels) and Mark Saunders (Spectacle / London)
organise video workshops in a working class area in Brussels. They use
video as mean of communication and as audio-visual base in local
political decision-making, e.g. in urbanism development. Their work is a
good example of audio-visual civil empowerment.

Migra Media is a collective of immigrated women who use video to
construct the image of migrants by deconstructing the image built up by
mass media. They are connected with a local television station in
Barcelona (Spain).

Mark Saunders (Spectacle/Despite TV) gives a practical workshop about
analysis of images of manifestations and other political actions. How to
use these images (own images and/or media images) to give your own
version of the facts? How to discover media manipulation?

Friday 7/12: "Different ways of distribution of independent media"

Distribution by VHS, Web TV, pirate television, distribution by hertz,
new experiences by cable… Why this particular choice, what are the
(practical) advantages and what are the consequences?

Undercurrents (UK) are one of the first networks of video-activism who
distributes their production world-wide on compilation tapes.

Pirata (France) is a group of Marseille who literally pirate local
television chains to distribute their own programs.

Zalea TV (France) is an autonomous television that came out of
experiences like Onde Sans Frontière and TV Bocal. They negotiated some
months ago a temporarly licence for distributing on the cable.

Saturday 8/12: "www: Web TV, free access, free software"

What are the possibilities for independent media to construct a real web
based work? Can web television be a new experience between local
initiatives ?

IndyMedia is an international network of media-activists who work
locally on web. This experience started with the anti-globalisation
movement in Seattle.

The Journal Télévisé International des Quartiers presents its project
that will use the web as a mean of putting together local experiences
all over the world. Teletambores (Venezuela), Clot RTV (Barcelona),
Maxambomba (Brazil) – local area television that shows their productions
literally in the streets- and Catia TV.

Sunday 9/12: conclusion and common projects

Possibility to think about networking (How? What do we expect from it?
How to finance…)

video library and exchange of tapes

There will be a space for viewing and exchanging participants' tapes.
This will be permanent during the days of the TV Nova meeting. There
will be possibility to exchange, to copy and to view the tapes….

Screenings, presentations and debates

Every participant will have some time (and the cinema screen) during
public moments in the evening. The different presentations will be
followed by a discussion with the audience. The program is open and will
be constructed following the propositions of the participants…

Animations, concerts…

Time to relax and to enjoy your stay in Brussels!

PRACTICAL

Inform us about what you do, what your domain of interest is, so we can
include this into the meeting and the evening program… any suggestion is
welcome! As you see, the program is still open to presentations and
workshops. TV Nova provides space, time and possibility to meet, think,
talk and work… but the meeting will be what participants propose and
make of it!

TN Nova meeting

date: from 5 till 9 December 2001

place: Cinema Nova, 3 rue Arenberg, 1000 Brussels

Contact:

Cinema Nova: 00 32 2 511 24 77

Contact TV Nova:
<http://lw3fd.law3.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?curmbox=F000000001&a=7d29
1fc85055fc52c9a6a7b27e73bb14&mailto=1&msg=MSG1005759919.9&start=1536802&len=
23741&src=&type=x&to=tv%2dnova%40litst%2ecollectifs%2enet&cc=&bcc=&subject=&
body=>tv-nova@litst.collectifs.net

Contact Cinema Nova:
<http://lw3fd.law3.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?curmbox=F000000001&a=7d29
1fc85055fc52c9a6a7b27e73bb14&mailto=1&msg=MSG1005759919.9&start=1536802&len=
23741&src=&type=x&to=novacinema%40village%2euunet%2ecom&cc=&bcc=&subject=&bo
dy=>novacinema@village.uunet.com

Website Cinema Nova:
<http://209.185.240.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=EN&lah=83e7211bde2b23d85db96fb2
02a3b173&lat=1005761099&hm___action=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2enova%2dcinema%2ecom%2
f>www.nova-cinema.com

… and why wouldn’t you stay till 16 December ? !

>From 13 till 16 December : Summit of Leaken / radio project / street
party and so much more !

The summit of Laeken marks the end of the Belgian presidency of the
European Union. Important subjects will be discussed: definition of a
fundamental European Rights, new members of the EU, public services and
privatisation, asylum rights, co-operation and immigration,
unemployment, education, police, justice….

To put it short and simple: these subjects are important for Europe’s
future. But do we have anything to say in the decisions? Is the European
Union an ivory tower that takes its decisions far away from democratic
peoples movements and opinions? Are we aware of the consequences of
European Unions policy?

For all these reasons, the official summit will be preceded by a
counter-summit by NGO’s on 7 and 8 December . There are also some
manifestations on 13, 14 and 15 December by several organisations and
collectives. To participate in these events means re-appropriation of
word and public space… Extra ordinary security measures are announced
for the Summit of Laeken. These measures mean a dangerous precedent that
will create Brussels into a fort where people can't find their way
anymore.

One of the initiatives that will happen during the Summit is an "interim
radio": « Radio BruXXel ». The idea is not to be an anti-European voice.
It will give voice to initiatives and opinions that construct another
Europe : open, without frontiers, based on equality and solidarity.

Radio BruXXel will be in the air during 4 days (from 13 till 16
December) operating from Cinema Nova . Thanks to the frequencies of
local radio stations (Panik, Campus, Air Libre and FM Bssl) and
webstreaming, Radio BruXXel will be an open space with direct
transmission where everybody can contribute.