Ivo Skoric on Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:33:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: How smart was this bomb?

The dual-use targets, I think, still need to be more thoroughly
defined under the international law. The building of RTS in
Belgrade, unlike the Prishtina transmission anthena, for example
did not have any military use at all - yet it was hit by the NATO
missile as well. It is simply an unformulated truth that TV today
can be used as a tool of war, just like film, radio and posters were
in WW II. Milosevic relied on the TV that he controlled to maintain
morale of his military and to rally support of the population. In a
sense the RTS served his government the same purpose that the
Psy-Ops serve the US government. But it was done under the
cover of being a civillian institution. This is why I think the 'dual-use'
principle needs far more explaining, than it was so far done on the
issue. I am not sure whether the Al Jazeera outpost in Kabul can
be judged under any of those two premises, though: unlike the
mast in Prishtina, it was not used for military communication, and,
unlike the RTS, it was not the mouth-piece of one side, i.e. it was
not the Al Qaeda's tool of psychological warfare. It looks to me as
if the US, obviously intercepting the communication between Al
Jazeera headquarters in Qatar and the office in Kabul, got under
impression that Al Jazeera would abandon the Kabul office - and
decided it would be better to blast it than have it taken over by
Taliban, Al Qaeda or Northern Alliance, for that matter. I think the
US made a mistake and needs to apologize and reimburse Al
Jazeera for the loss of transmitter in Kabul, now that Kabul is
"under control".
ivo