Lachlan Brown on Sat, 8 Dec 2001 21:45:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] was: [Nettime Bold] Very Funny I Think Not. is: Yo, HermeneuticInternet

>There was no nettime bold in May and June 1998.

best

Josephine,

I submit to the observation. There was no Nettime Bold in 1998. However, I am
NOT writing about 'nettime bold'.
I am writing about 'The Web Archive'. The
Web Archive contains copies of around
1/4 (by my rough estimation) of all web
sites and web files from mid 1996 to the present.

They were collected along with
key strokes and all email communication
of people using the net - though there is
no public access to those, as yet...

We can now hyperlink via 'The Web Archive'
to earlier architectures of the WWW by date, and surf familiar sites by period. I did so
and threw Bunting's, Vuk's, Micz's, early
statements from a delightful return to 1996
following intact links through familiar
sites.
How highly linked the WWW was then, more
links than content, before the damage
wrought by
administrative rationalisation of web
servers
by our public service insitutions and the
subsequent damage caused by 'dotcoms' for
whom linkage ran contrary to the commercial agenda,
as well as career minded in both camps (I believe we covered this in our private email
communication yesterday).

The WWW of 1996, if listed on search engines
of the period, is pretty much all there.

I found my censored and erased 'Difference Engine' research site at Goldsmiths College's site which is archived in the Web Archive, wrote about it to Nettime, provided
the URL via the Web Archive. Yesterday I went
back to take a look at Difference Engine,
that pre-Homeric wonder of ancient digital culture, to fire up some long unused neurons
and re-experience those heady Heroic days
of bold colours, yellow text on black, + wonderfully confusing email exchanges
to find that it had gone.

As I had written about it only to Nettime Bold, I assumed a 'Bolder' was responsible for
 this revision of the 'Web Archive'. If so, it
 is a highly signigficant skill, and I would
like to know how it is done. A confession was
 sought. None has been forthcoming. I will not tell anyone, trust me I am a researcher in cultural studies "). I have the originals in several versions backed up in any case.

If it is not a Bolder, then a number of
alternatives present themselves concerning
the circualtion of email to Nettime Bold,
as well as regulation and governance of Internet as highly intriguing lines of
inquiry to be pursued with great
thoroughness and urgency.

In any case, the Web Archive, and the ability
it presents to hyperlink 'temporally' means that any reading of the WWW must be a hereneutic reading. This is good news for the
historical materialists in Nettime, but bad
news because very warty male academics will
now become interested in the field.

As long, that is, as the content of the 'Web
Archive' is not open to revision. Whoever
did revise the Web Archive, can you get in
touch? Tust me to be discreet. I am, after all, a researcher in cultural studies entering an eighth year exploring this remarkable technology in culture.

Lachlan

*

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup