Karl-Erik Tallmo on Thu, 13 Dec 2001 06:35:28 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] At Twin and None

It has been three months now, and I found this text from September on
my computer:

AT TWIN AND NONE

Stocks, sports. Disasters. Catastrophes. Headlines had been big
before. Suddenly it happens. The flames, the dust, the screams. And
then yet another crash. The scale of it, the high fidelity of it, the
threedimensionality of it, it's all there, "Jesus fucking Christ",
human eyes panning towards the sky, camera eyes panning towards the
sky, the smoke, the debris - soon televised. Again. And again and
again and again. The sequel to earlier televised, photographed,
cinematographed, fictionalized, factionalized, infomercialized,
docudramatized versions. The first tower. The second tower. The first
tower. The second tower. Again and again. Shown for days, and
re-shown, trying to undo itself. And everybody is interviewed, people
in the streets, prime ministers, people working in grocery stores in
France, in grocery stores in Sweden - or Singapore: they all say, it
was just like a movie. The highest degree of realism: the movie, the
photograph, that devastating supremacy of simulacrum. "Independence
Day" or "The Siege" or "Escape from New York", and we don't know if
it is an explanation in retrospect, or, an inspiration for
perpetrators. They all stand there, like shields of film strips or
magnetic tapes, between the subjunctive and the indicative, and, I am
ashamed to admit, even I, when looking at those repeatedly, and
again, repeatedly televised images, those moving images of that
airplane creeping through the unsuspecting, cerulean air, towards
that adamantine facade, even I aestheticize, my hair on end, a loud
howl in my ears, and still I aestheticize: the bright sunlight on the
dust clouds, the sharp bluish brown shadows, that picture both
smudged and clear at the same time, the color of the sky, the
violence, it's like that painting by Turner, "Cottage Destroyed by an
Avalanche". Or is it maybe "The Fighting Téméraire tugged to her last
berth, to be broken up"? So crisp, like something by Richard Estes.
And then there's Ballard. Crash. High-Rise. Atrocities. My heart
crumples into a tiny ball of useless paper manuscripts, and again I
hear "Jesus fucking Christ", a voice like from a prompter, trying to
help me phrase - - something. And in the background I hear the
speaker from the 1937 news-reel, when the Hindenburg took fire, the
speaker's voice that has haunted me, ever since I heard it first, how
the human eye was transformed by this new medium, the seer seeing on
behalf of a nameless crowd, screaming out on behalf of who knows who:
"Oh the humanity!" ... and he cries into the microphone. "Jesus
fucking Christ" - is compassion still possible?

What can one say. Or write. I wish I could ask the reader to tell
what I have not yet written. That is truly what writing is about,
being a link more hyper than anything, linking the write time with
the read time. And maybe the teacher, who I suspect is rather strict,
will not even find out we cheated.

How could we ever - ? How can we - a happening as huge? Still there
were millions, a few decades ago, you-all-now-what! And there were
millions in olden days too, in medieval days, during antiquity.
Sameness doesn't change - and neither does man. They say.

So what remains for us with time and peace? I was just struggling
with those eternal questions, those eternal questions that sometimes
seem so uncalled-for: does God exist, is God really a good force,
since people on this earth are starving and suffering, or is that His
way of trying us all, asking us with a voice without sound but full
of action: Are You Worthy You All? Then for the first time on this
side of the Enlightenment we hear bearded disciples invoking the very
deity I am trying to comprehend, as their leading star and commander
- how sure they are, how doubtful I am, how frightening they are, and
how they frighten me with their confidence, their confidence in my
anticipated redeemer.

Then I hear them, those petty voices talking in a very matter-of-fact
tone about repression, imperialism and the Western way of life
encapsulating its own punishment. I have only been to a ballgame
once, but all of a sudden it seems as if I am back there. Every
single move from one of the teams brings on unanimous cheers.

Who are those people who tell me that my compassion is not genuine?
That I am a hypocrite? They say I did not mourn when people died
elsewhere. What do they know? No minutes of silence any of the other
days when 20,000 children die, they say. Or for people dying because
of bad housing, or no housing, or environmental poisons or safety
neglect in the industry? Or for the plotted deaths of city planners,
calculating some formula for the highest allowed death rate on
certain highways?

I shed tears every time people are eradicated by earthquakes, famine
or bombs whether it be with the lot of Abraham or Ibrahim. What
presumptuousness allows someone to deny me of my right to mourn my
fellow men? I believe some scars, many scars, maybe most scars when
you look at them more closely, go way beyond team-spirits or
dogmatism. Some scars, maybe most scars, the deep scars inflicted
into the very gut of us all, should move us all, should awake our
compassion regardless.

There are certainly minutes of mourning everywhere, years of
mourning, decades. And maybe mass death of any kind, still, after
all, somehow, goes beyond politics - not beyond insanity and
fanaticism surely, but beyond politics? Earthquakes, floods, sinking
ships, AIDS. Maybe there are personal sorrows and sorrows deep enough
to touch our oldest parts, parts old enough maybe to even keep
imprints of an amphibian subsistence of ours, and suddenly it is as
if humanity itself had been struck by a huge blow, a boot in the
ant-hill, a threat against our species, not just the Reaper calmly
attending to his usual slow harvest, but suddenly getting some
unexpected assistance of monstrous efficacy.

But, when humans inflict wounds as big as that upon themselves, we
are deeply affected by it, shocked, sickened, like when witnessing
some poor soul deliberately, methodically, cutting himself or
molesting himself. Yet healing is still possible. Is it not?

© Karl-Erik Tallmo, December 11, 2001.

    KARL-ERIK TALLMO, Swedish writer, lecturer

    ARCHIVE: http://www.nisus.se/archive
    BOOK: http://www.nisus.se/gorgias
    ANOTHER BOOK: http://www.copyrighthistory.com
    MAGAZINE: http://art-bin.com