z on Tue, 18 Dec 2001 06:23:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] [Fwd: RHIZOME_RAW: looking for dick]-a post tossed from one list toanother

Title: looking for dick

Please pass on C A L L  for  E N T R I E S:

Looking for Dick (June 6 - July 20)

Group exhibition at Open Studio, Toronto, ON, CANADA
GUEST CURATOR: Carla Garnet

SUBMISSIONS DEADLINE: Postmarked on/before JANUARY 10, 2002

Looking for Dick
an exhibition and symposium planned for Open Studio: June 6 - July 22, 2001.

Looking for Dick expands upon the original Open Studio SEARCH CALL which produced an exhibition and symposium in the Spring of 2000. Artists were invited via a call for submissions that explore the boundaries of contemporary printmaking practice using all forms of media with innovative approaches including performance, video and installation.

Looking for Dick wishes to create a forum that will also challenge the existing notions of  fine art printmaking.

The call is informed by a quote from Philip K. Dick as the Philip K. Dick character in his last novel RADIO FREE ALBEMUTH ISBN: 0-679-78137-4. The science fiction unfolds in the late 1960's where a paranoid incompetent has schemed his way into the White House and convulsed America in a vicious war against imaginary internal enemies that evokes the concept of self portraiture.

"It was myself, " Nicholas said, "standing beside the bed gazing down at
me. I recognized myself." . . . "I told him it was himself from an alternate universe. The proof was that he recognized himself. Had it been a future self he would not have recognized it, since it would have been altered from the features he saw in the mirror. No one could ever recognize his future self. I had written about that in a story, once. In the story the man's future self comes back to warn him just as he, the protagonist, was about to do something foolish. The protagonist, not recognizing his future self, had killed it. I have yet to market the story, but my hopes were good...."

Looking for Dick, like Electronic Sheep an exhibition of new digital art recently presented in Australia (which  based on another Philip K. Dick quote from his book Ubis ) will recognize the conceptual and aesthetic transformations occurring in art as a result of collaborations and mediations with various technologies.

OPEN STUDIO invites artists to submit proposals of multiple intelligence to Looking for Dick an exhibition that questions the boundaries of contemporary
printmaking practice by using all forms of media.

SUBMISSIONS must include: cv, brief statement of intent, 10 slides and/or
video tape, clearly labeled, accompanied by an information sheet and a SASE
(self-addressed and stamped return envelope).

Your response must be postmarked on/before: JANUARY 10, 2002.

Please forward submissions to:
OPEN STUDIO
468 King Street West, Toronto, ON  Canada  M5V 1L8
Attn: Looking for Dick Submissions

Selected artists will be notified by February 1, 2002.
CARFAC Artist Fees will be paid to exhibiting artists.
Support material will be returned in the SASE you provide by March 1, 2002.

Open Studio is a comprehensive artist-run centre for contemporary
printmaking practice committed to activities that encourage and facilitate
research, production, presentation and dissemination of new works in the
contemporary visual arts. Open Studio supports and facilitates professional
artists in the production of print media projects and in the development of
their professional endeavors through multi-faceted programming: Studio
Facility Rental; Visiting Artist Program; Scholarship Program; Exhibition
Programming; Education Program; Collaborative Printing Program; Print
Sales/Archives.

Open Studio, Tel./Fax: 416.504.8238  E-mail: office@openstudio.on.ca
Website: http://www.openstudio.on.ca