Derek Holzer on Mon, 31 Dec 2001 16:11:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Acoustic.Space.Lab ::: new site for the new year

Acoustic.Space.Lab ::: new site on-line 01.01.2002
http://acoustic.space.re-lab.net/lab

>From August 4-12, 2001, twenty five media artists and activists from three
different continents gathered together at Irbene, in the forests of western
Latvia, at the site of a Soviet-era 32meter dish antenna. Formerly used to
spy on satellite transmissions between Europe and North America by the KGB,
the antenna was abandoned and nearly destroyed when the Russians departed in
1994. The dish is currently under repair for civilan use as one of the top 5
most precise radiotelescopes in the world.

The intent of this workshop was two-fold. The first was to explore the
possibilities for creative interaction with a formerly military, and now a
civilian-scientific, device which artists can seldom access.

The second is to create a communications network of our own out of the raw
material gathered at the dish. This "open-source sampling" process has its
origins in the scientific and computer programming communities, where
research is shared within a network for the common advancement of the field.

Artists who were present at the orginal workshop, as well as others who
joined in our network afterwards, have contributed various projects to our
on-going collaboration. On January 1, 2002, the Acoustic.Space.Lab site will
host the first presentation of many to come, featuring audio, video, web
installations and images utilizing or inspired by the materials from the
dish.

Featured artists include:

***Mukul (Ambient TV)
***Kim Cascone