WIGGED.NET on Mon, 14 Jan 2002 01:36:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] JANUARY 2002 E-NEWSLETTER

Title: JANUARY 2002 E-NEWSLETTER
WIGGED.NET  JANUARY 2002 E-NEWSLETTER--VOL. 2 ISSUE 6

Wigged.net (http://www.wigged.net) is an evolving quarterly digital magazine focused on bringing innovative short videos, animations and interactive works over the Internet.  Our mission is to be a showcase, distribution and promotion center for experimental artists via the World Wide Web. Wigged.net is for audiences seeking innovative alternatives to traditional forms of entertainment.

NOW SHOWING

Check out featured artists in the new issue of Wigged.net:

Andy Deck's Glyphiti
.
Deck writes, "Glyphiti is an image composed of many smaller 'glyphs' that can be edited easily.  The qualities of the image are co-determined.  As author, I have established certain characteristics. These include the size and available colors, which are black and white. But the state of every pixel can be changed by the visiting artist." United States. 2001.

James M. Magrini's Nada: Nothing.
Magrini writes, "An encomium to the transhistorical aesthetic movements of DADA and SURREALISM. The film combines 'auto-cinema' (Ray), 'Roto-reliefs' (Duchamp), and archive footage to expose language and vision, the supposed guarantors of truth, as illusory. Once 'aim,' 'being,' and 'unity,' which have been mendaciously exploited to infuse existence with meaning, are pulled out, the world appears pointless. Nada is but one bridge to this conscious awakening." United States. 2001.

Derek Rees's Whirling Dervishes
.
Whirling Dervishes speaks to investigating the everyday,
counterpointing the differences between the "everyday" of children and adults. United States. 2001.

Anthony Ferraro's Coney Island.
Coney Island
is one of six short vignettes inspired by the spectacle of Buster Keaton and the sensibility of Beckett shot in 16mm B&W featuring a lone tramp character.  With New York City as a backdrop our Tramp is drawn into the drama of a day in which everything seems strange and everything seems familiar. In these journeys lay many of the little epics we face everyday that begin and end with a turn of an unknown corner or the opening of a strange door. With nowhere to go and nothing to do meaning becomes unavoidable. United States. 2001.

Wendy Smith's The Waiting Game
.
This is the story of a woman who spends her life waiting for something to happen. United States. 2001.

To view these works visit the "Now Showing" page at http://www.wigged.net

WIGGED NEWS

Read Peter Schmideg's illuminated web essay, Ground Zero Dreamscape.

The above article can only be found on the "Wigged News" page at http://www.wigged.net

STORE

Buy cutting edge cassettes, CDs and CD-ROMs that are for sale at http://www.wigged.net.

CALL FOR WORKS

Seeking innovative and experimental video, animation and net art.  Please visit http://www.wigged.net and go to the "submit media" page to fill out our on-line registration form and send requested materials.

DEADLINE: February 15, 2002 for Wigged's March-May 2002 issue.

PUBLICITY OPPORTUNITY

We are looking to promote your upcoming exhibitions and new releases.  If you would like for us to promote your work either through our newsletter or Wigged.net webzine, please send your press releases to:

Seth Thompson
Wigged.net
418 Woodland Ave.
Akron, OH  44302

or you may e-mail press releases to seththompson@wigged.net.  No file attachments will be accepted.  If you have images that you would like to include, please send them via snail mail to the above address.

Please Note: To remove your e-mail address from my list simply reply to this message and type the word "unsubscribe" in the Subject field at the top of your reply.  If you have more than one e-mail address through which you might be receiving this, please be sure to list them all.

--
Seth Thompson
Wigged.net