Lachlan Brown on Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:48:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: Don't Fuck With Democracy.

Thank you MCKenzie,  Kermit, and Mikael for
pointing out the source for ‘the tragedy of the commons’.
"The Tragedy of the Commons," Garrett Hardin, Science,
162(1968):1243-1248.

Hmmm…

One might have expected Malthusian
biology combined with in the equation
of Mass Destruction Game Theory
and validated by a retrenching scholarship
compromised by the military industrial
complexes reaction to counter-cultural
social innovation would crop up somewhere
around the question of ‘the commons’.

I see Hardin, citing J.B. Wiesner and H.F.
York ‘the dilemma of steadily increasing
military power and steadily decreasing
national security’, is not writing about
'the commons' at all, but about Nuclear
Arsenals in 1968 during an intensely insecure
cultural period in which scholarship became
deeply compromised by the institutionalization
 of education as a mere element and resource
in a new social contract and a new form of
 government, that of The National Security State.
He was writing not about ‘the commons’ at
all but about ‘Mutual Coercion Mutually Agreed
Upon’ the necessary basis for
suspension of the social contract and democratic
rights and an apology for a ‘new social contract’
in which the balance between estates of The State,
The Market and Ethics mediated by the Public
was to be suspended for the sake of Cold War
emergency contingency.

Was he one wonders writing to posterity an
apology for his time from the fall-out shelter
to which

What relevance does ‘R-Complex thinking’
of the National Security State have for the rich,
complex, diverse, contradictory nature
of our common wealth, our culture(s), how
is it to anticipate and assure the longevity
of our culture(s) and why do we
continue to accept this imbalance to the
social contract?

Scientific Rationality among herdsmen is
an unlikely scenario. Some of us have higher
brain functions than those governed from
the brain stem, and any argument
based upon assumed behaviour with no
empirical basis may make interesting
economic theory, and might make what
appears to be a fairly interesting game
simulation but...

‘The Commons’, our democracy, is not
a given, an ideascape to be colonized,
it is an outcome of  democratic thinking.
Behaviour in a 'commons' is comparative
and cultural, governed by best use of land
and resources for a 'community', ‘how do
we make best use of what we’ve got” governed
by ‘tradition’ or what has worked well in the
past and carried a community across unremembered
unrecorded events -- long term cycles of climate
change, pestilence, war, --“kinship” trust in
unpredictable as well as predictable behaviour
among co-‘herdsmen’’/wimmin, as well as
well as openness to the memes of other cultures,
in a forum where all matters affecting the commons,
and the common wealth, our culture(s), may
be raised, discussed, and commonly understood.
.This is democratic thinking. Historically, managing
‘the Commons’ or communal land of the
community was how we
got democracy.

Alexander Wilson’s The Culture of Nature
is helpful toward an understanding of a
'new social contract', and of course
Serres had something to say about
'the Natural Contract'.

About my subject line, I apologise but Hardin
provides validation for it:

'Coercion is a dirty word to most liberals now,
 [1968] but it need not forever be so. As with
the four-letter words, its dirtiness can be
cleansed away by exposure to the light, by
saying it over and over without apology or
embarrassment. ' Hardin.

I repeat, don't fuck with democracy.

“The only way we can preserve and
nurture other and more precious freedoms
is by relinquishing the freedom to breed,
and that very soon. "Freedom is the
recognition of necessity" -- and it is the role
of education to reveal to all the necessity of
abandoning the freedom to breed. Only so,
can we put an end to this aspect of the
tragedy of the commons.” Hardin 68

Nazi.

Make love not war.