George(s) Lessard on Sat, 19 Jan 2002 19:50:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] The rise of the Independent Media Center movement - Modern Day Muckrakers [Indymedia article]

From:           	"Michael Gurstein" <mgurst@vcn.bc.ca>
To:             	<cpi-ua@vcn.bc.ca>,
	"community informatics"
<communityinformatics@vcn.bc.ca>
Subject:        	[CPI-UA]: FW: Modern Day Muckrakers [Indymedia
article]
Date sent:      	Fri, 18 Jan 2002 19:22:44 -0500
Send reply to:  	cpi-ua@vcn.bc.ca

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-triumph-of-content-l@usc.edu
[mailto:owner-triumph-of-content-l@usc.edu]On Behalf Of radtimes
Sent: January 18, 2002 4:30 PM
To: Recipient list suppressed
Subject: Modern Day Muckrakers [Indymedia article]

Modern Day Muckrakers

<http://ojr.usc.edu/content/story.cfm?request=681>

The rise of the Independent Media Center movement

By Theta Pavis, <theta@thetapavis.com>
OJR Contributor
January 15, 2002

Philadelphia - This is not your average newsroom. For one thing, it's been
set up in a church basement.

On one desk, a top-of-the line G4 Mac hums along; on another, a salvaged
computer tossed in the trash by a college student is being brought back to
life by the tech department.

Like any media operation, it's busy. Deadline pressure permeates the air.
Editors and writers call back and forth to each other, sweating the details of
story length and content. Someone gets up to make a coffee run. Unlike other
newsrooms however, the entire space will be empty in a week. Welcome to
the Independent Media Center, in this case, the Philly operation-
headquartered for the moment at the Calvary Church in West Philadelphia.
Like all IMCs, the Philly center uses the Net as a medium for dissident news.
The nonstop activity both on and offline attracts hundreds of volunteers.
"There is a frenetic pace which draws people in," said one longtime IMC
member. "A mix of revolutionary protests and dot-com like caffeine-fueled
energy of technology" keeps them coming back.

                    Justice Journalism

The very first Independent Media Center (IMC) sprang to life in Seattle, during
the fall of 1999. In November, the World Trade Organization and hundreds of
international delegates were preparing to come to the city. At the same time,
young activists, galvanized by years of anti-globalization work, were asking
themselves how they could impact the meeting and get the word out about
protest marches and rallies. Part of the answer was to create an alternative
news source that would cover the demonstrations and the issues behind
them.

The Seattle IMC attracted scores of media activists who provided round-the-
clock coverage of what came to be known as "the Battle in Seattle."
Members said the Web site they built got about 1.5 million hits during the
WTO protests. Like everything else, the ISP services were (and still) are
donated.  When the site traffic skyrocketed, a staff person from the ISP
braved the tear gas in downtown Seattle to bring the IMC a second DSL line.
(Tech members today estimate the entire network gets about 400,000 page
views a day.) After Seattle, IMCs began to pop up around the world, from
South Africa to New York City. At current count there are more than 60
centers in 25 different countries. Some, like Seattle and New York, have
permanent, physical offices. Others, such as Philadelphia, live mostly on the
Netwith meetings taking place online and in the homes of local members of
editorial collectives. This model is replicated around the world. In Barcelona,
for example, the IMC is a year old and has a core of about 20 people. "We
have needed no money until now," Carmen Hurtado wrote in an e-mail
interview from Spain. "We got a few old computers that the tech people
mounted for all to use. When the ink for the printer runs out, we collect some
money just for this, or somebody with an extra mouse might give us his."
International, bi-weekly meetings are held online, and there are scores of
different IMC e-mail lists http://lists.indymedia.org ranging from general
discussion, to talk of finances, translation and technical issues. When an
event occurs that requires specific attention, the attention of independent
journalists fed up with what they see as an increasingly corporate,
mainstream presscenters get busy. "The mainstream press censors its own
journalists and in Indymedia we have had cases of journalists coming to us to
publish the news they cannot publish in the publications they work for," said
Barcelona's Hurtado. "Social organizations and related movements come to
us to publish their news because the mainstream press won't do it. They will
not publish when a demonstration is going to be held, or the agenda of a
weekend gathering to discuss social issues and alternative politics." IMC
members videotape demonstrations and meetings
http://www.indymedia.org/projects.php3, sometimes streaming them over the
Web. Some produce radio reports http://www.radiovolta.org/, while writers
feed constant updates http://www.indymedia.org/ to the Web and editors pull
together print publications. On the Web anyone can get published, and
comments on articles are eagerly solicited. Indymedia describes this system
as "open publishing".
http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~matthewa/catk/openpub.html Not
surprisingly, the entire network runs on free software.

                    Newswires and Press Passes

Back in Philadelphia, it's the American Correctional Association's (ACA)
http://www.corrections.com/aca/ annual meeting that has brought me to the
IMC, which blossomed overnight in the rented church space. The ACA is
holding their conference and trade show at the Pennsylvania Convention
Center in Philadelphia, and members of the local IMC are attending to report
on the "prison industry." Reporters can post their articles directly to the IMC's
Web site. Well-written pieces get posted on the front page of the Web; the
collective decides what goes where. Each IMC deals with this differently;
some put the most accessed stories on top; some place stories chosen by
editors.

The newswire meanwhile runs every story posted
http://www.phillyimc.org/newswire_newswire_1.shtml, by date. One member
described it this way: "Some IMCs have a policy of not removing anything,
regardless of content. Some remove only commercial posts and posts that
(have) technical problems ... Most sites have a statement whereby they
remove racist, homophobic, and sexist posts." In order to get into the
newsroom, where I have come to work as a volunteer editor, I first have to get
issued an ID. Just like any newsroom, right? In this case, a young man
perched at a small wooden desk at the top of the stairs works at a
sophisticated laptop. He snaps my photo with an I-zone camera, types up my
info, and in a few moment produces a laminated ID for me, complete with a
cord for it to hang around my neck. The ID clearly identifies me as "PRESS."
IMC reporters, however, have experienced different levels of difficulty getting
officially credentialed. This varies depending on the city they are working in.
The rise of the IMCs raises a lot of the same questions the Web has been
raising for years now: Who gets to be a journalist? Many have compared
http://www.media-alliance.org/mediafile/20-4/justice.html IMC members to
early muckrakers such as Lincoln Steffens and Upton Sinclair, but a better
comparison might be found in Ida B. Wells. Born about five months before the
Emancipation Proclamation, Wells became a highly respected journalist who
spent years documenting and exposing lynchings. She was meticulous in her
reporting, traveling to the scene of race riots and murders, and reporting her
findings in black, and eventually in some white, newspapers.  But she was
also an activist, sitting on the board of numerous organizations working to
better the lives of blacks and women during Reconstruction. There was no
confusion for Wells between the ideas of rallying behind her cause and
reporting on it. Like Wells, the reporters connected to the IMCs don't have
any interest in unbiased reporting. But many of their articles do contain, like
her work, massive amounts of research, statistics and interviews. Media, they
believe, should be accessible to everyone. Journalists can and should be
agents for social change.

The IMC movement attempts to deal with these issues upfront. On the
Frequently Asked Questions http://process.indymedia.org/faq.php3 page off
the main site, one of the queries is:
http://process.indymedia.org/faq.php3#activist-journalist "Are you 'activists' or
'journalists?'" The answer: "Some would say 'activists,' some would say
'journalists,' some would say both. Each Indymedia reporter/organizer must
make this distinction for him/herself. Having a point of view does not preclude
Indymedia reporters from delivering truthful, accurate, honest news. Most, if
not all, local IMCs, have explicit policies to strongly deter reporters from
participating in direct actions while reporting for Indymedia." Individual IMCs
reflect these issues in different ways. The tagline, for instance, on the Israeli
IMC is "You Are Your Own Journalist." In Italy, where important work was
done around the G8 summit and the subsequent raids
http://madison.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=755 by Italian police who
beat protestors, the tagline is: "Don't Hate the Media - Become the Media."

                    Bridging the Gap

While the IMC movement has some things in common with such publications
as say Mother Jones or The Progressive, members stress that they are also
very different. "With Mother Jones, there's still a level of professionalism that
they adhere to and they have resources at their disposal to strive for this,"
said Susan Phillips, who helped found the Philly IMC. These kinds of
magazines, she said, are "fighting an uphill battle, that this perspective can
be just as legitimate and look just as pretty (as the mainstream press). But
the IMC is not trying to react to what the mainstream is saying. It's an
attempt to be a whole other source, guided by its own vision." IMCs, she
points out, are volunteer efforts. "The people have other lives- they consider
this their activism. People are reporting on the movements they are active in."
Another difference is that the IMCs are based on nonhierarchical structures,
which means, for example, that when the press calls, there is no one
appointed spokesperson. "The consensus model (is used) for decisions and
priorities. It's not a typical newsroom structure ... it's a whole new kind of
journalism because it is saying, 'Look, this is our story…and we can report it
just as legitimately as some outsider can, and you can take from it what
want.'" It is also a very young movement, said Phillips, who, at 34 is "one of
the oldest people" in her local center. The reporters also have one other thing
the old time muckrakers didn't have; the Net. "We have this medium out there
where it can just go all over the world…instead of just trying to get one little
thing in Mother Jones," said Phillips. "The self-publishing stuff is radical and it
is totally dependent on the Web," added one activist, who gave his name as
Velcrow Ripper, a documentary filmmaker who has been to four different IMCs
and was recently at the one in New York helping cover anti-war protests.
Some members get so caught up in the IMCs they end up intending to devote
their lives to it. In September 2000, Evan Henshaw-Plath quit his corporate job
and gave up his apartment in Boston so he could travel to IMCs around the
world providing technical support. He's been on the road ever since. "I've been
working with the global imc-tech collective which maintains most of the dozen
servers, and traveling," Henshaw- Plath said in an e-mail interview from
Germany. "I've worked with IMCs in Boston, Brazil, Argentina, Prague, San
Fancisco, New York, The Netherlands, Vermont, DC and Philly." He
describes Indymedia http://www.indymedia.org - the main IMC portal, as a
network or networks of media activists. "There is no core or central
organization." "To understand the role of Indymedia from a technical
perspective as a Web site you need to know that we really just play one part
in a whole wave of changes that have swept the way online news is
constructed and presented. With Indymedia, we bridge the gap between
online news, activism, real work media labs, and many non-cyber mediums."
Covering War and Peace Sept. 11 has had varying effects on the IMCs. Jenny
Arfman, a 27-year-old volunteer at the Seattle IMC who works full-time at a
small software company, said she doesn't think Sept. 11 has changed things
that much.

"Our goals are still the same. If anything, it seems like Indymedia has
become more popular and the newswire has been very active ... in a way, the
war is connected to globalization. Yes, we're focused on Sept. 11, but the
same people responsible for war are responsible for globalization and war
profiteering." The IMC in New York http://nyc.Indymedia.org/ (where the Web
site can also be read in Spanish) has been particularly busy. Members have
reported on terrorism, on the lives of average New Yorkers in the aftermath of
the attacks, on anthrax, and on anti-war demonstrations and teach-ins.
Following Sept. 11, the New York IMC published several, 20-page
newspapers (distributing about 20,000 copies each time), as well as a video.
Others in Indymedia are trying to stay on top of what America's new patriotic
climate, anti-terrorism legislation, and possible censorship could mean for the
movement. "It puts us in a vulnerable place," said Sheri Herndon, one of the
founders of the IMC movement in Seattle. "To continue to push the line of free
speech…empowering people to make up their own minds is what Indymedia
is about, and government doesn't want you to do that." Herndon recently met
with members of the Electronic Frontier Foundation http://www.eff.org in San
Francisco to discuss the situation. EFF is one of the groups that provides
Indymedia with pro bono legal support. The word terrorism is being so broadly
used these days, Herndon argues "it is being used to crack down on anyone
working on social justice issues."

                    Funding and the Future

Indymedia has always had strong links to progressive organizations
http://www.indymedia.org/allies.php3 and nonprofits, particularly those
connected to media (such as Public Citizen http://www.citizen.org/, Fairness
and Accuracy in Reporting http://www.fair.org/, and Adbusters
http://www.adbusters.org/). Those connections can come in handy when
centers raise funds.

The IMCs exist through volunteer labor. Computers and equipment flood into
the newsrooms like the one in Philly when the call goes out. People lug their
laptops and entire PCs in from home. They scrounge for old components and
cobble them together. People donate and loan equipment. Some IMCs, such
as the one in Seattle, solicit donations
http://seattle.indymedia.org/donate.php3 on their sites. During the Republican
National Convention-when the Philly IMC was first born-members drove to
upstate New York just to pick up a G4 that was being loaned to them by the
brother of someone who worked at the Philadelphia Inquirer. The main FAQ
page says, "Indymedia supports its entire technical structure on an incredibly
minimal budget, only a couple thousand US dollars so far." In Sydney, for
example, the IMC http://sydney.indymedia.org/ has grown through countless
volunteer hours, occasional donations, and grants. Members have also
brought in money by doing work for other nonprofits with similar goals, said
volunteer Ben Praccus, who also works with a volunteer arts and media space
called Octapod http://www.octapod.org.au/. Donations also come from
individuals. Media analyst Ed Herman, who co-authored the book
Manufacturing Consent with Noam Chomsky, gave money to the Philadelphia
IMC when it was gearing up to cover the convention and said he plans to give
more in the future.

In an e-mail interview, Herman said he considers alternative media crucial for
a democratic society. "I think the IMC movement has done very important
work in counteracting the mainstream media's gross bias in dealing with
events approved by the elite, like the political conventions and actions of the
World Trade Organization and [International Monetary Fund] IMF," he wrote.
"They have actually embarrassed the mainstream media. They have an
important potential, and I must support them because they are part of the
hope for a democratic future. If they and institutions like them don't succeed,
this society is in deeper trouble than I like to think about."

--------

Editor's Note: As this story goes to press the author has notified us that the
Philadelphia IMC has secured a building and will be moving to a new home.

---------

Theta Pavis is a freelance writer, radio producer and journalism teacher who
lives in Philadelphia.