Karl Kuhn on Thu, 31 Jan 2002 21:00:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Version>02 :: Digital Arts Convergence in Chicago (New Call)

The following is the latest call for artists for Version>02 a Digital Arts
Convergence exploring the digital commons, April 18-20 @the Museum of
Contemporary Art in Chicago and beyond..............

Cheers,

Karl

VERSION>02 [DigitalArtsConvergence] presents an exploration of the digital
commons

:: Commons::  a  resource that belongs to or is used by the public

:: Digital Commons:: in the digital sphere, new technologies with access for
all

:::Calling all artists, designers, activists, multimedia producers,
information architects, tactical media agents, programmers, musicians,
filmmakers, concerned citizens and critical thinkers:::::

We are interested in your ideas, projects, sounds, films, papers and
proposals concerning the present, future and past of the digital commons,
and invite you to share them with us during our three-day convergence,

This April 18-20 Select Media, OVT Visuals and the Museum of Contemporary
Art in Chicago will present Version>02,  a digital arts convergence, as a
forum for artists, performers, and critical thinkers to present, review and
celebrate works and ideas. For three days and three
nights, Version>02 will examine ideas on where we are and where we going
through:

::Feature Performances
::Film and Video screenings
::Symposia
::Installations
::Writing
::Net Art
::Net.cinema
::Sound Art
::Other demonstrations from the active minds of the emergent culture.

Version>02 is an exploration of our digital commons and an opportunity to
meet those who tend to its gardens, fences, and pathways. It is an
investigation into maintaining, expanding and designing the commons, while
ensuring the continuation of shared resources and information in all facets
of communications.

We are looking for works to fit within these areas:

SCREEN VERSION:
A festival of video works that will explore the issues surrounding the
notion of
the digital commons and/or show innovative use of video/filmmaking
technologies. There will be an audience choice award for each short program
of the fest..

Version>02 will showcase work from all genres (including live action,
animation or any combination in between, narrative, documentary,
experimental and/or design-oriented). Entries can be shot or created in any
format (film, analog/digital video, animation etc.)

Deadline for submissions: March 1, 2002.
*Due to the high volume of submissions, we cannot guarantee that your tape
will be returned, send us a SASE if you want your tape returned. Submit a
copy of your work in NTSC, Beta Sp,  Mini-DV or VHS)

NET VERSION:
Net art, audio art, and net cinema will be represented on the Version web
platform. We are seeking works that comment or examine the Version>02
themes.
Deadline for submissions: March 14, 2002.

VERSION LAB:
The lab will feature a second stage for performers, workshops and
presentations, and viewing stations to view interactive or web art. Deadline
for submissions: March 14, 2002.

PRINT VERSION:
Lumpen magazine will publish a special Version>02 magazine of radical and
critical texts on the issues surrounding the ideas of a Digital Commons.
http://www.lumpen.com
Deadline for submissions: March 14, 2002. 500-2000 words

Select Magazine will feature works and interviews with artists participating
at Version>02. Original works, videos, designs, music accepted for possible
inclusion.
 http://www.select-media.com
Deadline for materials: March 1, 2002.

PROJECT VERSION:
Includes site-specific and off site projects to be exhibited or unveiled
during the festival, including installations.
Deadline for proposals: March 1, 2002.

There is no funding available for projects or proposals.

All  submission inquiries: submissions@select-media.com
or mail work to:

Version>02
C/o Ed Mar
960 w 31st st
Chicago il 60608
U$A

Some help..

COMMONS:
A commons is a place, a real physical space or a more ephemeral information
space, that is not privately owned. Natural commons include the oceans and
the atmosphere. Garrett Hardin's famous essay "The Tragedy of the Commons"
(Science 162:1243, 1968) argued that such commons would inevitably be
degraded and used up - like a village commons where everyone would feed
their livestock until there was no grass remaining. Information commons hold
the shared history of our cultures, such as myths and folksongs. Information
commons are unique, because as ideas are taken from them to provide
inspiration, they are not used up. Those ideas remain for the use of future
generations of creators. ----

PANELS::
Symposium Themes during Version>02

Public>Version:
The enormous impact that the worldwide digital communication infrastructure
has had on the way we access and act upon information has been a favorite
subject of pundits of all persuasion. Version>02 hopes to focus the lens on
this issue in a series of symposia that examine media access and control
from the perspective of the media producers themselves. The concentration of
media conglomerates after the recent merger and acquisition spree of the dot
com boom and its impact on independent news and creative media groups will
be examined. Version>02 will also feature groups that are using the
multi-media tools presented by this communication revolution to invigorate
democratic involvement in issues of daily and global concern. A tour of the
songs, stories, community review and engaged democracy on the digital
commons.

Features:
Tactical_Media>Version
Alt.Media>Version
DotCom>Version (maybe)
Display>Version:

Version>02 tours the digital commons to engage with those who use the tools
and language there to create situations and pieces that map our dreams,
fears and ways of understanding ourselves. The conversations that we have
historically had about who we are as people, how our relationship to
community is formed and develops, has often found itıs best expressions from
the artists of the community. The ability to present, through works, a vast
personal/cultural dialogue in a few brush/mouse strokes, a series of plotted
pixels, or manipulated sine waves is reviewed to examine how we craft the
language of culture, self, finality and the infinite.

Features:
Display>Version
User>Version

Version>Control

The easiest and most tangible expression of the digital commons is the
internet. Since itıs infancy as a non-proprietary protocol for sharing
research papers across phone lines it has bloomed into a near limitless
cornucopia of affinity groups, financial management systems, information
gathering and representational paradigms. As the opportunities for sharing
and learning grow, so do concerns of loss of privacy, monopolization of
information, issues of access and concentrations of power beyond the grasp
of democratic review. Version>02 looks at the delicate balance between
security and freedom on the digital commons with the architects, the cause
champions and monkey-wrenchers from both sides of the digital divide.

Features:
Version>Control-