Andrea Polli on Fri, 1 Feb 2002 20:04:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] UPCOMING MEDIA SERIES: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

As Hunter's Department of Film & Media launches its new MFA program in
Integrated Media Arts, we invite you to a series of presentations by
artists in a wide range of media. We hope you can join us.

THE UNTAMED SIGNAL

CUTTING-EDGE MEDIA CREATORS at the IDA K. LANG HALL
HUNTER COLLEGE, SPRING 2002

Media, talk & refreshments
All events begin at 6pm and are FREE!

Ida K. Lang Hall, Rm. 424, N. Building,
Hunter College
68th St. at Lexington Ave., New York
6 Train to 68th St.
(212) 772-4949  http://filmmedia.hunter.cuny.edu

Schedule: (detailed descriptions follow)

Fri. February 8 - Gail Pellett (with Ken Hurwitz)
Fri. March 1 - Sasha Abramsky
Tues. March 12 - Mitch McCabe
Wed. March 13 - Elisabeth Subrin
Tues. April 2 - Phil Bertelsen
Fri. April 19 - Keith Sanborn
Mon. April 22 - Adrienne Klein
Thurs. April 25 - Kathleen Brandt & Brian Lonsway
Fri. April 26 - Lana Lin
Wed. May 8 - G.H. Hovagimyan

Fri. February 8 Gail Pellett (with Ken Hurwitz)

Gail Pellett's powerful video documentaries have explored some of the
most pressing social issues of our time. At Hunter, Pellett will present
her most recent work, JUSTICE & THE GENERALS, which examines the killing
of three nuns and a Catholic lay worker in El Salvador twenty years ago.
Offering insights into complex legal issues, it investigates the
generals, now living in Florida, who are being sued for command
responsibility in the atrocity. Ms. Pellett has worked for many years as
one of Bill Moyers' senior producers at PBS. Hurwitz is a lawyer on the
case. Presented by Stuart Ewen.
Fri. March 1 Sasha Abramsky

Award-winning journalist Sasha Abramsky uses immersion reportage to
bring alive the political forces that have led America's prison and jail
population to increase more than four fold in the past twenty years. His
new book, HARD TIME BLUES, deftly explores the War on Drugs, the
Rockefeller Laws, and the growth of the SuperMax Prisons which have
helped to incarcerate 2 million US citizens. His work has appeared in
The Atlantic Monthly, Rolling Stone and the Village Voice. Presented by
Peter Parisi.

Tues. March 12 Mitch McCabe

Mitch McCabe's film work has boldly combined autobiography with more
fictionalized elements. Her work has consistently drawn attention at a
number of film festivals, including the Sundance Film Festival and New
Director/New Films at MOMA. McCabe's 1995 film, PLAYING THE PART, is an
angst-ridden but humorous essay which puts the quirks of her traditional
family life in Grosse Pointe, Michigan into counterpoint with her gay
life in Boston. The film won an Academy Award and the Special Jury Prize
at the Ann Arbor Film Festival. McCabe is currently finishing her first
feature, THIS CORROSION. Presented by Joe McElhaney.

Wed. March 13 Elisabeth Subrin

Elisabeth Subrin's films examine intersections of history and
subjectivity within female biography. Her award-winning works have been
acclaimed by the Village Voice, Art Forum and Film Comment. In response
to her most recent work, 'The Fancy', the New York Times had this to
say: 'One of the most moving evocations of a person... Ms. Subrin
confers immortality on her subject while making vivid her irrevocable
absence.' Presented by Michael Gitlin.

Tues. April 2 Phil Bertelsen

Student Academy Award winning filmmaker Phil Bertelsen was a Spike Lee
Fellow at New York University before beginning his current PBS sponsored
project MATTERS OF RACE. He moves fluidly between narrative and
documentary approaches to the media. Bertelsen's documentary, SUNSHINE,
won numerous awards at festivals around the country. He is currently
writing a screenplay for the notoriously iconoclastic producers at Good
Machine. Presented by Tami Gold.

Fri. April 19 Keith Sanborn

Working in a wide range of media, Keith Sanborn explores the zone where
public images meet private perceptions. 'I consider myself a graduate of
Catholicism,' says Sanborn, 'and I believe the visual and intellectual
aspects of my particular education cause me to cultivate a theory of
religion and ecstacy.' Sanborn's work has been exhibited widely,
including the Walker Art Gallery, MOMA, Anthology Film Archives, Eiszeit
Kino, and the Toronto International Film Festival. Presented by Lynne
Sachs.

Mon. April 22 Adrienne Klein

Adrienne Klein is an artist and curator with a special interest in the
intersection of art and science. She has shown extensively in the United
States and Europe, including nine solo exhibitions. She has served on
the Board of Governors of the New York Foundation for the Arts and
curated exhibitions for Union College, New York University and the
Brooklyn Museum of Art. She is the editor of the online bulletin of Art
and Science Collaborations. Says Klein: 'Around my artwork there is
often the whiff of a science project. I make work that explores our
senses and the relationship between our corporeal bodies and the
products of our intellect.' Presented by Andrea Polli.

Thurs. April 25 Kathleen Brandt & Brian Lonsway

Teaming up with a new multimedia work, 'Chroma-Space: contesting
contested spaces with the color blue,' included in this year's Franklin
Furnace 'Future of the Present' performance series, Kathleen Brandt and
Brian Lonsway will present video, installation, and performance projects
which use chroma-key technologies to politically engage privately owned
public space. Kathleen Brandt is an installation artist who has
exhibited widely, experimenting with a range of materials from
microscopes to rubber. Brian Lonsway has written extensively on
informatics and is an assistant professor and Director of Informatics
and Architecture at the School of Architecture, Rensselaer Polytechnic
Institute, Troy, NY. Presented by Andrea Polli.

Fri. April 26 Lana Lin

Lana Lin is a Taiwanese American artist whose motion pictures engage the
problematic nature of cross-cultural expression of experience. The
inadequacy and rewards of translation provide the foundation for much of
her work. Her piece, EVERYTHING IS NOT THE SAME, utilizes speech
recognition software and psychoanalysis as colliding systems that
categorize and condition human behavior. The case study of Anna O.,
whose hysterical symptoms included a unique speech disorder, is dictated
to a computer that generates a transcript that is both frustrating and
revelatory. Presented by Michael Gitlin.

Wed. May 8 G.H. Hovagimyan

Noted for his vespertine take on computer sexuality, celebrating the
plagiarism of clowns, and the 'art dirt' of 'art people,' G.H.
Hovagimyan is an experimental artist with roots in the New York punk and
video movements. His recent works operate in hybrid areas between
networked performance, interactive installation and sound art. He has
exhibited work throughout the USA and France, including Eyebeam Atelier,
Franklin Furnace, and the Musee D'Art Contemporain, Marseille and is
included in this year's Franklin Furnace 'Future of the Present'
performance series. Presented by Andrea Polli.