Dave Jones on Sun, 3 Feb 2002 00:43:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] No Ribs For You

I don't know if you're aware of it, but Texas BBQ is, how do I say it,
uh,
not so good. There is one major exception, but, in accord with new
security
regulations after 9-11, it is not as good.

Texans complain when I say things like 'Texas BBQ is not so good', they
say
things like "We invented BBQ! And ours is gosh darn good, the gosh darn
goodest on the planet!" (Editors note: We're assuming the Texans were
referring to Earth)

The thing is, most Texas BBQ is brisket, which is OK, except most Texas
BBQ
is brisket with something I would describe as cooked homemade Ketchup on
it.

I have a theory on why Texans think that is so good, they were raised on
it.
That's how their mom made it, their mom made it gooood for them gooood
for
strong growing boys (Editors note: And girls) . That's how it's supposed
be done, 'they dun learnt those boys good'.

I did not grow up in Texas, and so I was not raised to 'like' that
Ketchup
style BBQ, but, I digress.

The real purpose of this story is an update on security in DFW and on
the
real best BBQ in Texas (Editors note: Before anyone writes in and claims
that Rudy's, aka. 'The worst BBQ in Texas' in Austin is really the best
BBQ
in Texas, they should stop, and read the sign.) Is in the DFW
(Dallas-Fort
Worth) airport and known as Dickies.

Dickies used to have a full restaurant that served Shriner Bock. It was
where that TGIThursdays or whatever it is called is located now. They
then
moved to one of the food courts, the one by gate C4. After the move they
may
have stopped serving Shriner Bock, but they still had the best BBQ in
Texas.

TGIT[sic] has changed their menu. The following words are now emblazoned
on
their menu; 'Because of security concerns, we have altered our menu to
remove items that required the use of a knife and fork to consume. We
thank
you for your tolerance of this new policy.'

Now, Post 9-11, Dickies have also had to change what they serve.
(Editors
note: They didn't change the menu, it still reads as it always did) They
no
longer serve ribs.

Ribs, for those of you that are unaware, are a dangerous thing. Besides
the
fact that without ribs your back would not be able to hold your insides
in,
a rib can poke out an EYE! or push buttons. I'm not sure which they were
worried about. (Editors note: I often use pens to push buttons when I
have
condiments such as BBQ on my fingers.)

So, at 7:16 AM (editors note: GMT-8,  Pacific Standard time) this
morning, I
had brisket and links at Dickies in DFW.

Although I did enjoy them, I wasn't really sure if they were as good as
remembered since I had awoke at 2:00 AM (editors note: also GMT-8) to
catch
the first flight out of RDW (Raleigh-Durham).

What? Were you expecting a serious story? It's ten in the morning and
I'm on
an airplane and this report is titled 'No Ribs For You', how serious can
that b... actually that is pretty serious.

I need a nap, unfortunately I get sinus problems on Airplanes when I fly
too
much, which leads to headaches like the one I have now, and no, I don't
have
a good enough memory to remember to bring Ibuprofen with me on trips,
when
would I need it?

dave
powdered by tom-tom.com