integer on Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:41:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] \/\ zemi nera

                 \/\  http://www.eusocial.com/nnnnnnnn/wintered.k!sz
                 \/\  http://www.eusocial.com/nnnnnnnn/wintered.k!sz

Concert title
I Keep asking how deep the snow's gotten

Musicians
ayelet harpaz
netochka nezvanova
anne la berge

Venue   Overtoom301
Concert date    26 jan, 02
Reviewed        13 feb, 02

An ongoing cycle of performances based on the Seasons , Winter's
dedication , took place at the OT 301 on a stormy Saturday night at the
end of January.

Netochka Nezvanova and Ayelet Harpaz both beautifully attired in plastic
dresses, seated on the floor of a stage in the centre of the concrete
studios of the OT 301 created a subtle and fluent sonic image of
'winter' in an improvised piece that lasted about 25 minutes. Working
with what I assume was in part fixed material, Ayelet Harpaz used
Haiku's , in the original Japanese - sung mostly on the border between
voice an whisper, as a basis for improvisation. Her vocal style can best
be described as intimate, she plays with aspects of breathing,
whispering, sighing, and fleeting melodic patterns; phrases evolve and
dissolve into the hiss of breath.

Netochka Nezvanova , processing Ayelet's voice with LiSa created a
seamless flow of fluctuating speeds and micro-collisions. The sound
world was both full and fragile, multi-layered horizontal movement that
was rich in higher-partials ( a trademark of Netochka's sound).

The piece which seemed to fall into several clearly defined parts,
marked by a different haiku, had a wonderful static quality that was
full of discrete movement. I especially enjoyed the moments where they
let the music thin out into almost silence, letting it be carried by the
slightest sonic syntax. Unfortunately they had not just one, but two
computer crashes during the performance , first the computer that was
providing the image for an abstracted snow-flake projection across the
floor, then Netochka's iBook, leaving a whole in the piece, which
slightly undermined what was up until then a spellbinding flow of sound.
They managed to recover for the last part which was memorable for some
exquisite sounds, like ice breaking and colliding in splintered time.

In the second part of the concert we heard Netochka with Anne La Berge
in a purely musical improvisation. Here there was more energy and
changing character as opposed to the delicateness of the winter piece.
The girls just seemed to be letting rip; Anne steering the music with
her digitally distorted flute sound in playfully aggressive rhythmic
phrasing and Netochka seemed to be having a lot of fun twisting the
sound into a full spectrum of transformations, I'm almost sure that I
even heard loops and bass lines , perhaps there's a DJ in Netochka after
all. They could have finished five minutes before they actually it did,
but as is often the case with improv, this last part suddenly seemed to
go switch gear into a beautifully concentrated and magical coda.

-
-
-

    /_/
                          /
             \            \/       i should like to be a human plant
                    __/
                                   i will shed leaves in the shade
        \_\                        because i like stepping on bugs

Netochka Nezvanova                   nezvanova@eusocial.com
                                    http://www.eusocial.com

                                http://www.ggttctttat.com/!
   n  r  .   5        !!!      http://steim.nl/leaves/petalz