Toby Barlow on Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:15:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] responding to concerns on solar infrastructure

I think your questions are interesting.  But the
question I have is a fundamental one. As opposed to
the situation 30 years ago, solar is now a mature
technology, costs being reduced dramatically in the
last 15 years while efficiencies have improved. But it
has an immature manufacturing and marketing base, so
how do we solve for that?

And in those 30 years the debate may not have changed
much, but the players have. Nuclear was a much
stronger option 30 years ago, until safety issues,
public protest, and, finally, Three Mile Island got in
the way. It is beginning to re-emerge as an option
now, especially as proponents describe it as "clean"
i.e. no greenhouse gasses, but with it identified as
an actual terrorist target, the national security
issues and related insurance costs will probably keep
it from being the big winner.

On the other hand, a strong new case for solar at home
can now be made, insofar as homeland security begins
with homegrown energy. (note: why hasn't anyone
pointed out that George Bush's Axis of Evil somehow
conveniently left out Saudi Arabia, where the majority
of the hijackers actually came from? We do so love our
energy supply.)

And increased exploration, though it might please the
Teamsters and the Alaskan electorate, doesn't begin to
address our energy supply needs, not to mention the
fact that it adds insult to the injury of our Kyoto
retreat.

Finally, the highly touted fuel cells, which are far
from a mature technology, may ultimately serve as
another portion of our energy portfolio. The important
thing is (a) diversification of said portfolio and (b)
finding ways to make solar to play a increased role.
Solar bonds could do just that.

While weather patterns may change, a sudden influx of
cloudy days, even if it's thirty percent more, would
still leave you with ten or so free years of energy.
If it's more than thirty percent, than we have much
bigger problems than the source of our electricity.

As for the solar panels adding to climate change -
given the current state of the industry,if solar
permeated so many rooftops that it was an issue even
within the next twenty five years, I would be
surprised. But more to the point, if you are putting
solar panels on rooftops that are already black with
tar, which most industrial roof space is, there is no
additional warming. And finally, just as wind turbines
have been technologically improved to avoid pureeing
local fowl, so too could improvements be made for
solar to protect the environment, if they were ever
deemed necessary.

While long range forecasting is important, I think,
fundamentally, we have to find creative ways to put
options like solar forward, or else the massive
climate change you speak of is a foregone conclusion.
At least it looks that way from here.

One final question for nettime users, are there any
fundamental links with Japanese or German renweable
energy intellectuals and activists? Is there a
newsgroup of such marvelous beings? Since those
countries have the most comprehensive solar market
(again, largely state supported but, with companies
like Sharp expanding their solar production into the
U.S. which leads to the question, when have the
Japanese and Germans backed a technological bad idea
in the last 30 years?) a internet network of
interested parties could learn a lot.

Thanks. Toby.
votesolar.org

=====