m e t a on Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:26:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] 4 x 4 generative design

   4 x 4 generative design : beyond photoshop

http://www.friendsofed.com/books/4x4/generative_design/index.html

   new artwork, writings, and code by -

adrian ward - http://www.friendsofed.com/4x4/generative/adrianward.html

golan levin - http://www.friendsofed.com/4x4/generative/golanlevin.html

lia - http://www.friendsofed.com/4x4/generative/lia.html

meta - http://www.friendsofed.com/4x4/generative/meta.html

//

the computer screen is a compositional viewfinder. it can only see so much.

everything that appears there is constructed of code. text. language.

applications. file formats. operating systems.

while we are in front of the screen they become the basis of our behavior.
we can only do what the program and the operating system allow us to do.

we come to view these structures as absolutes, as independent entities.

yet all this code, these formats and protocols and platforms,
are but one small visible aspect of a much larger structure.

a process.

a movement and flow that is completely dynamic and fluid and alive.

it is not our tools and technologies
but the rigidity of our preconceptions that limit us.

we define our systems in a rigid manner
forgetting all the while that our systems define us.

generative applications short-circuit this routine,
providing an escape from our own habitual behavior.

an escape from our own limitations
via a partial surrender of control.

the chaos and complexity and flux that permeates all of nature
is allowed to bleed into our most controlled and logical structures.

the programmer allows themselves to become programmed.

the designer allows themselves to become designed.

//m
127.0.0.1

http://meta.am/
216.71.65.73