World Economic Forum Information on Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:34:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] RE: Help!

Ah. Yes indeed, you are right: the study exists. And as Richard has
pointed out many times, there are always moments of "downturn" in the
public's acceptance of non-standard new orders.

This stands to reason! It may be relatively easy for the public to accept,
at any given time in the history of a country or system, a new array of
titular heads of that country or system, that the public or a large
portion of it has asked for. But it is substantially more challenging to
pass off on that public an entirely new power structure in which many old
values are negated or rendered quite useless, and in which the wishes of
the public are considered via an entirely new, invisible structure that is
not at base accountable to anyone but those few that control it.

Of course, the reality of this process can be hidden for a good long time.
For quite a while people can be led to believe that the old values still
dominate--that "things make sense." But as difficulties arise, or for
whatever reason people are led to think about things, the reality of the
new configuration will become manifest to, say, 23% more than before.

This is no reason, however, to go from news and views to rhythm and blues,
so to speak. Through the Centre for Global Industries (whose objective is
to ensure that the foremost corporations of the world are deeply and
actively involved in accomplishing the Forum's mission), we wish to advise
all our members and partners that things will look up in the long term.

Please remember: liberalization is the path to prosperity and security.
In the carrot-and-stick model of obtaining worker allegiance, the stick of
homelessness and starvation was recently shifted to that of terrorism,
which is far less effective in a day-to-day, prosperity-driving way. It
is, however, far *more* effective in wresting long-range shifts from a
public wary of new values. Once these shifts have been accomplished,
homelessness and starvation will return to vitality and prosperity will
resume its acceleration.

Please let me know if you would like further details.

With very best wishes,
H. T.