Paul D. Miller on Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:00:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] The European Graduate School

Hey folks, this is a project I'm working on with folks like Jean Baudrillard, John Waters and Slavoj Zizek etc etc it's a pretty heavy/intense theory scene, and well, I just wanted to make sure the list knows about it. Basically people show up at a remote region in Switzerland and you hang out with various philosophers etc etc for a couple of weeks. It's a pretty chilled out scene. Essentially it's a PHD program with some of the more dynamic minds invoved with conteporary architecture, philosophy, and media/design. And the degree is at the same level as places like Yale etc etc It's kind of like the Black Mountain College scene in the 1960's... If anyone is interested, just check out the website. This year is already set up, but if anyone's interested for next year, well... let me know.
peace,
Paul

Here's a brief blurb about the program:

http://www.egs.edu/
The European Graduate School EGS Media and Communications program, aiming at creative breakthroughs and theoretical paradigm shifts, brings together master's and doctoral students with the visionaries and philosophers of the media world who teach about art, media, communications, film, internet, web and cyberspace studies from a cross-disciplinary perspective.

Our faculty includes, Giorgio Agamben, Chantal Akerman, Pierre Aubenque, Alain Badiou, Jean Baudrillard, Yve-Alain Bois, Victor Burgin, Tracey Emin, Christopher Fynsk, Peter Greenaway, Donna Haraway, Martin Hielscher, David Lynch, Jean-François Lyotardİ, Paul D. Miller a.k.a. Dj Spooky that Subliminal Kid, Carl Mitcham, Jean-Luc Nancy, Jochen Poetter, Avital Ronell, Wolfgang Schirmacher, Michael Schmidt, Sandy Stone, Fred Ulfers, Gregory Ulmer, Victor J. Vitanza, Hubertus von Amelunxen, John Waters, Samuel Weber, Siegfried Zielinski, and Slavoj Zizek.

The comprehensive program of the European Graduate School EGS is distinguished by the cordial interaction of eminent faculty members with students who are the best of the cybergeneration. A true international mix, they are outstanding college graduates as well as filmmakers, artists, web designers, computer programmers, college instructors, writers, actors, photographers, theater directors, teachers, journalists, graphic designers, musicians, critics, and editors.

The selection process of the Media and Communications program at the European Graduate School EGS is stringent and personal. We consider only fiercely independent students who work well within a program combining distance learning, studies and limited residency in Saas-Fee, Switzerland. Our students are expected to choose their own emphasis and area of concentration as supported by their Master's and Doctoral /PhD thesis / project. The language of instruction is English.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free...."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Port:status>OPEN
wildstyle access: www.djspooky.com

Paul D. Miller a.k.a. Dj Spooky that Subliminal Kid

Subliminal Kid Inc.

Office Mailing Address:

Music and Art Management
245 w14th st #2RC NY NY