Nmherman on Sat, 23 Mar 2002 20:46:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Virtual economy grows real world

In a message dated 3/23/2002 12:44:14 PM Central Standard Time, tim@forced.co.uk writes:

This from todays Guardian (UK) re the not so-recent posting of the NY
Times piece on Norath/economies of virtual worlds.

Thursday March 21, 2002
The Guardian

Lords of the ring

Norrath rules virtual gaming and has just been ranked the 77th richest
country in the real world. Sean Dodson reports.

I sometimes wonder about what I think is a fact, i.e. that the "ring" in question is a metaphor for virtuality or virtual reality overall correct?  Viz Wagner and all that, the godlike virtuality of the powers of the ring are somehow improper and too volatile for humans to embrace.

"From Wagner to VR" is a famous new media essay by Randall Packer of the USDAT.  If VR is a big moneymaker, what kind of money does it make?  I am a non-avid gamer but the idea of games re AI and other scheize is pretty relevant.  (My current research includes the game "Joust" by Williams.)  It does present some great questions however and a good news update re god games and VR.  I approach VR or the imaginary more from a literature aspect than a technology one however, i.e. I have no idea what VR is or Virtual Worlds are but I know what the Ring of the Nibelungen and utopiae are, and game narrative is fairly cross-disciplinary besides.

Max Herman

++